Clipped From The Paris News

wduffee Member Photo

Clipped by wduffee

 - By ED BRYSON A quiet country store, two white...
By ED BRYSON A quiet country store, two white hurches, scores of towering oak rees and a few homes are all the tnictural evidence found today of once bustling town in Red River 'ounty. The little community is Rosalie nnd it is 100 years old this month. Only the silent oaks and the memories of. old persons in the community can recall the ,time Rosalie was a name to be reckoned vith in the business life of that ;ection of Red River County. Only'they can look back to the .ime when Rosalie was first called kVayland and when people from Bogala, Clarksville and other points attended school there and manv of them came to buy food, drygoods, whiskey and drugs. Rosalie, or Wayland, was once a bustling and boisterous place. It bad several stores, including a drug store, a saloon, a blacksmith shop, .a newspaper, cotton gins, a school, a telephone exchange and a sorghum mill. All these, except the single store and the two churches, are gone, far and away down the red sandy roads that stretch out from the community after crossing Highway 37 running in front of the store. According to a history at post offices, Rosalie, then called Wayland, had a post office in 1851. The first office was established May 21 of that year and the first postmaster was William C. Miller. Mr. Miller was succeeded April 7. 1854, by William Humphries. Other postmasters and dates of their appointments include: William Reynolds, Aug. 14, 1856; Richard S. Van Wey, May 6, 1858; James Thomas, June 30, 1866; Mrs. Rosa Ann McClure, Aug. 13, 1866; Richard S. Van Wey, Dec. 12, 1866; John N. Wilson, Nov. 26, 1869; Richard S. Van Wey, Dec. 11, 1874; Francis M. Smith, Dec. 27, 1877. Name of the post office was changed to Rosalie, June 28, 1880, and Francis M. Smith continued as postmaster. William A. Douglas, Aug. 9, 1898; Druria T. Layton, June 9, 1908. The office was discontinued April 15, 1915, and the mail was ordered Continued on Page 23

Clipped from
  1. The Paris News,
  2. 18 Apr 1951, Wed,
  3. Page 36

wduffee Member Photo
  • Clipped by wduffee – 04 Jun 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in