History of Curry Run Church and picture
ttfltf ANA EVENING OA2EOTB^&ANA, CURRY RUN CHURCH Guzelte Thoto & Nearly a hundred years ago ; Rev. R. Johnston and Rev. J. Reed were appointed as a committee by the Presbytery of Blairsville to organize the Curry Run Presbyterian Church. Today this church still stands, about eight miles west of Indiana in Armstrong Township as one of the oldest remaining churches in the county. Rev. Reed and Rev. Johnston were first appointed in 1837, but when one of them failed to attend the organization meeting, thoir appointments were renewed and the organization completed in May of 1838. The organization took place in the then unfinished church building and the twenty-nine original members of the church included most of the surrounding residents. The first preacher of the Curry Run Church was Mr. A. Donaldson, who first preached on the second Sunday of June, 1838. Following three months of supply preaching by Rev. Geary, Mr. Donaldson fully assumed its responsibilities. On June 20, 1839, he was ordained and installed as pastor, serving the congregation for fourteen years. Following Mr. Donaldson, Rev. Franklin Orr, M M. Shirley, Rev. George K. Scott, Jacob L. Thompson, and Lycurgus Mechlin were some of theCurry Run pastors. Rev. John Walker is the present pastor. The first elders of the church were William Anthony and Robert M. Walker. The Sabbath School grew out of a pastor's Bible class, and was organized in 1845 with forty pupils. The original church building was built in 1838 at the cost of $1400, It was replaced by the present structure in 1S89.