Indians and poison arrows Washington Star
contents who a seemingly ruined! uttering his Poisoned Arrows It is extremely doubtful whether any poison of a chemical nature ever used on arrows, by Indians in North America, says a writer the Washington Star. On the other hand, the use of magical poisons was very prevalent. Certain plants and animals which were supposed to contain power of a deadly were utilized for this purpose. Actually, as far as can be determined, none of these substances had any poisonous effect whatever. Ordinary infection of arrow wounds was frequently interpreted by the early explorers as the result of poison, the tales of the Indians who described the use of magical poisons as indicated found their way into print. The venom of rattlesnakes was said to have been occasionally used by some of the Southwestern tribes, but insomuch as rattlesnake venom loses its potency very soon upon exposure, it is likely that efficacy was based on the same of sympathetic magic rather than actual chemical effect.