1956 Welcome William Chandler
WelcomeW.Chandler,Family ""re/ White Settlers Here Welcome Williams Chandler and J fils family were the first permanent white settlers In the Bayou-Valley and Brown County, although their 1 arrival was al- mosfi ,the same time as half a dozen other families who located between the Colorado River and present-day Brownwood. It* is believed that Chandler visited Brown County earlier and bought land at that time. When he returned in 1858, his purpose was to settle. He established his homej east of Pecan Bayou and some '• two mllM from the county courthouse. . Chandler was accompanied by J. H.'-Ftfwler, who brought the first herd of cattle here in December, 7 1866. Fowler married Mary Ann Chandler in 1857 to become; the first bride and groom in the' : eounty; • ' Welcome Chandler was born in North Carolina in 1813, son of Williajh Hugh Chandler and Tabitha Elizabeth Hodges Chandler. In his youth, the family moved to Copiah Co.< Miss., where he lived until he married Miss Sarah Brown at the age of 21. The couple later moved to Texas and settled in Brown County before there were houses or any other evidences of civilization. His rude log cabin came to be a general meeting place for the early settlers and was the scene of many conferences dealing with the policy and procedures of frontier Brown County. Court sessions and other important activities of the early days were also held at the cabin. When the Chandlers moved to Brown County, they had nine children, and four others were born here. Mrs. Ella Stafford, who:was born here Nov. 10, 1857, is generally known as the second white child born in Brown County. •;; Names of the other children Iriclude: Mrs. Jane Harriss, who is buried in Greenleaf Cemetery; Mrs. Mary Fowler, the first bride in thejcounty and who died in 1927 at tjje age of 92; Mrs. Carrie DuBose, who died about 1915; Wil- liarft Washington Chandler, who died about 1913: Mrs. Lizzie Manning, who died in Marathon; Mrs. Sallie Hardee, who died in Brownwood in 1927; Mrs. Lucy Moseley; Sam,' H. Chandler, who died in 1884; Jesse R. Chandler, who died about 1920. Those born in the county were Mr& Stafford, who died about 1946; Miss Melissa Chandler and Mrs;' Laura Caldora Davis, twin sisteirs who were born in 1860; and? Edward Vontress Chandler, whot ! died in 1934. Miss Chandler died June 30, 1947, while her twin died in 1933. They were the first twins born Irt Brown County. Mr. Chandler was elected.the first county Judge when the county was organized. The office was designated as chief justice at that time, In 1862, he was elected county treasurer. The first courthouse was a crude structure oA the Chandler farm. Reports indicate the Chandlers brought seven Negro slaves with them to the county. Several stayed in the county after they gained their freedom and adopted the family name of Chandler. That is indicative of the respect early settlers of the county held for the Chandler family. Mr. Chandler died in May, 1870 in Williamson County. Mrs. Chandler died Dec. 31, 1892. The Chandler family has probably more Brown County "firsts" to its credit than any other pioneer family. NEWLYWEDS OF 1857—Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Mullins, among the earliest settlers of Brown County, are pictured shortly after their Jan. 4, 18S7 wedding In Fayette County. Mulllns, who came here in 1856, returned to Brown County with his young bride, the former Susan Elizabeth Allen, to establish a home of logs covered and floored with buffalo hides in the Thrifty community. In 1880 they built a double log house, at Thrifty and hauled lumber from Round Rock for the structure that became home many years for the parents and their 12 children. The old house still stands and is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Guy Eads of Brownwood. Mrs. Eads is a granddaughter. In 1875, J. C. Mullins and a brother-in-law, Dr. G. W. Allen, erected rock buildings at Thrifty to house a general merchandise store, cotton gin and flour mill and the new "boom town" of the county became a trading center for settlers who travelled as far as 250 miles'by wagon to secure supplies. The first post office at Thrifty was established in a log cabin, with J.Jett Green as postmaster. Henry Sackett was first teacher of the Thrifty school, one of the first in West Central Texas. The Thrifty Methodist Church was organiied in the Mullins home with seven charter members.