Firehouse Dedication - Evening News Saturday, 20 Sep 1924
RIVERSIDE FIRE HOME DEDICATED Mayor Hoverter, city officials and about 800 residents-of Riverside attended the dedication of the new home of the Riverside Fire Company, No. 16, at Fourth and Lewis streets, last evening. The building was accepted by City Commissioner Samuel F. Hassler on behalf of the department of fires. Mayor Hoverter made the principal address, while an engraved trumpet was presented to the company by the Women's Auxiliary of the Volunteer Firemen's Association. The presentation speech was made by W. H. Earnest. Postmaster Charles E. Pass also spoke at the services, while inspection of the building was made by Fire Chief Marion Verbeke and A. L. Patton, assistant chief. The program opened with an invocation by the Rev. Jonas K. Raub, followed by an overture by the Penbrook Boys' Band. . "America" and other patriotic airs were sung by the spectators under the direction of Mrs. Florence Ackley Ley. Vocal selections were given by John Daugherty, Miss Helen Etter and Miss Mae Shoop. Benediction was given by the Rev. Edwin H. Witman. . " . The Riverside company was organized Aug. 18, 1919, and now numbers 200 members. The new building has been in use for some time. It contains up-to-date equipment, a large meeting room and quarters for the drivers.