EEADER, TVTLKES-BAItRE, TVTLKES-BAItRE, TVTLKES-BAItRE, THURSDAY, AUGUST 20, 1886, FEEELAm- FEEELAm- Ki t A Wilkes- ad m still dry the par and of a that South ! department, the upon is state, order ready-made ready-made may of is most self found kinds, of all made gentlemen, endless is not cities. the They square among & of Hotel nrst-class nrst-class to the pre , the an old-time old-time are coming Phila at There . of the the of all and the a long peculiarly centres street- street- nlentv of every for and it patronage are en Pa. whatever, a man fatiguing car, the of a commercial 'bills room they -which -which of Nan- Nan- uommer a fcntt "man of cour able to public table A GliaXM at one ef the Thrtvlac Towas of . the Uwer Ead. . j . . -A -A reference to the article entitled Early Hazleton, will inform the reader that A. Pardee came to Hazleton in 1836 and com menced the -work -work of sinking the first slope at West Hazletoa, Associated with him in this enterprise was Joseph Birkbeck, Sr. When the work was accomplished and the terms of the agreement complied with," Mr. Birkbeck went to SouthHeberton and pur chased 409 acres of . land. The place was originally called Pleasant Valley, after wards Heberton, in boner of Mary Heber- Heber- ton, who owned the Upper Lehigh tract The proprietors aim -was -was to develop the land and aevote ms attention to asn-icui- asn-icui- asn-icui- asn-icui- tnral pursuits, and to that end cleared a few acres of land in the vicinity of the old public v school house, a - property of Foster township. Advised by i Philip Hess and Squire Gil more, two thirfty farmers 'of Butler Valley, to dispose of the extreme north and south wings of the estate and farm the ridgy center he did so, and sold lots of nrty acres each respectively to Jacob Smith, Aaron Howey, Thomas Broome and Joseph Joseph Hughes, and ten acres to the Boston Coal Com Dan v. This was before the dis covery of coal in this section of the lower end. In 1871, August Donop, purchased of Mr. Birkbeck thirty acres and laid the same out in town lots, and. thus became the reputed founder of r reeland. Josepn Birkbeck, Sr, diedjin 1871, and his son Matthew coiducted the operations on the farm and thus continued to be employed employed up to the time of his decease. Joseph, Joseph, the. eldest son, commenced his business business life at Eckley, as a butcher, where he remained six years, and then went to Foundryville, to engage in an iron enter-prise. enter-prise. enter-prise. Seeking a more extensive field in which to exercise his business inclination, he went to Wilkes-Barre Wilkes-Barre Wilkes-Barre and plunged into the real estate business. He is now one of the monied men of that city. Thomas Birkbeck was born in" 1840, and early in life commenced picking slate at Eckley for 25 cents per day. Later, he was employed employed driving cattle for Frank Parsons, ad extensive drover from Troy. N. Y. He went into the army in '63 and after his discharge sonsht work at Audenried in the emnlov of Butcher Hamburgh, where he remained eighteen months. In 1866 he married a Miss Soedden. daughter of the late 'Sauire Snedden. and commenced the' butcher business for himself, shortly after, at South iHeberton. His great busi ness tact soou developed itself, the conse quence of which was the upbuilding of one of the mo3t extensive trades of the kind in the lower end. Mr. Birkbeck has always used his time and money to further the interest of the community in which he lived, and thus his own, and the Birkbeck Block, the Central Hotel and a large number number ot cosy tenement houses that beautify Freeland, are the results of his enterprise. In 1885 he built a magnificent home between between South Heberton and Freeland, and in April last retired from business to devote devote his attention to the estate. Mr. Birkbeck Birkbeck is real estate agent of the family, manager of the Freeland Water Works, an enterprise perfected by the Birkbeck Bros., and a wholesale dealer in cattle. In 1875, Freeland had a population of 100 inhabitants, in 1880 the number had increased increased to 400 and now -with -with the annexation of South Heberton, Five Points and ,the Coxe addition, an aggregation of 5,500 people results. The public schools are in a flourishing condition. Yk various gradations, addit ional building and a thorough course of common school instruction, good work is being done. All over the town churches are being erected and soon the wayward and prodigal sons will be brought under the ameliorating influence or the truth as it is in Christ Jesus. A fire company has been organized and some of th8 leading citizens of the place are a part of its membership. A handsome engine, with an abundance of hose, fire plugs and all necessary appliances, have been provided to render efficient service in the event .on a disastrous conflagration. Ana we would not overlook a considera tion of that agency so potent in the educa tion or the masses, to-wit: to-wit: to-wit: The printing press. In 1881 Owen Fowler, the editor aiia proprietor of the Freeland Progress, came to this town, a pilgrim and a stranger. We say a pilgrim, for the gentleman had traveled extensively through nine states in tne union, and in all of these was engaged for a longer or shorter period on some newspaper. He commenced the career of a journalist as compositor and assistant editor of the Danville News, was employed as foreman on the Mountain Echo, and filled the Mt. Carmel Nevoa with the latest news of the day. Mr. Fowler is no longer a stranger. The people all over the lower end hear from him with pleasure weekly. With its notes and personals and sensible editorials, combined with forcible advertise ments, the Jrogres8 is without a parallel among the weekly issues of the county. Having thus briefly touched upon the founders, the churches, public schools, water company, fire company, the press, etc., of Freeland, the remaining portion of this department of the Evening Leader will be devoted to the business interests of the place, with a view of benefiting both buyer and seller, and the general edification edification of the public at large. Aa Honored Citizen. The subject of this sketch is a rising young man of the town. When the "Squire, as be is familiarly called, was but com paratively a young boy, his parents moved from Hazleton to this place. That was over twelxe years ago, when there were not above a dozen "houses in the village. A short time after coming to Freeland he went back to Hazleton to learn the watch making trade with S. D. Engle, the in ventor of the "Eighth Wonder," or Engle clock, but for some reason his-father his-father his-father took him again and taught bim the shoemaking trade. At tms latter employment be work ed until of age. During the years that he worked at bis trade he was a close student always thinking that in some way or other he could better his condition if he only tried. He succeeded in educating himself to such a standard that the day after he became of age he concluded to strike out for himself' in the world. take time by . the forelock, and do the best he could. Accordingly in the same week he went to Lehigh county. passed a satisfactory examination and was .appointed to teach a school in Slatington. uunng me same wees ne went to Wilkes-Barre, Wilkes-Barre, Wilkes-Barre, passed the examination "before the "r i tj . . xwaraoi examiners, ana registered as a law student hi the office of Alfred Darte, Esq., at that time District Attorney. After finishing bis term of teaching, he went to the Kot z town Normal School, the only school he ever attended. except the public schools. Aiier quitting me .normal witn one term's experience,- experience,- he went immediately to wuKes-Barre wuKes-Barre wuKes-Barre and took up the study of law in bis preceptor's : office. - While in Wilkes Barre he heard of a vacancy existing existing in the office of Justice of the Peace in Foster township, his old home and where his parents still lived, and acting upon the aavice oi jut. mixe, lor tne practice he wouia get in sucn an omce, ne petmonaa Governor Hoyt for the appointment and received it.- it.- He had been in office but a lew weeks when the Democrats of the cownsmp, witnout any solicitation upon Ms part, nominated and elected bim. ; He has held - the office 'for lour years and is respected by all who know Jiim,. In Jan-nary, Jan-nary, Jan-nary, 1883, he was married to an estimable young lady of this place, Miss Bertha A. Schmidt, daughter , of the Rev. J. . H. Schmidt Mx. Grimes" has always taken an active interest in pontics, both in the county and in bis own district, and is a staunch Democrat of the old Jeffersonlan school. During the present summer, he announced himself a candidate - lor the Fourth Legislative district, and his friends are using every esort in their power to secure secure for bim the nomination. Having al ways been a bard working man,-and, man,-and, man,-and, ra fact, a laboring man, be ' would be the proper person to represent the people of this district which is so hugely composed of workingmen w nose interests are Deing con tinually trampled upon. II nominated ana elected the people of this district can rest assured that they will have a representative representative at Harrisburg possessed of good judgment judgment . and. sound , common sense. . Mr, Grimes, for a short time, was local editor of the Plain SpeoJur. - , . AUw Baslaeao. H. Ste.iner became a merchant in Freeland in March, 1883. At first his stock could be confined to the narrow limits ot the smallest store In town; bit :' his ' strict attention to business, com testes shown customers, && brought about a gradual Increase in trade, and at the expiration of two years he rented one of the largest store rooms in town. Mr. Steiner not only enjoys the reputation of possessing the most complete stock of its kind in town, but the leading store in the line of goods he carries in this region Located as it is near the corner of Centre and Sooth streets, in elose proximity to the Lehiirh Vallev railroad, natrons from a dis- dis- f tance take advantage of the opportunity to patronize the cheapest store In the community, viz: Steiner's Bargain Store. Aithougn there are several other stores or the same variety here, yet none of them are able to undersell him, simply because he buys his goods direct from the factories, thus enabling him to wage war with his competitors. Ye3, his designs that ornament his store front are being imitated all over town, showing the gentleman's ability and good judgment as a merchant. The skillf ul arraugement of the compartments and tasteful display of goods are pleasing in the extreme to. the spectator, whicn accounts accounts for the crowded condition of this place of business almost nightly. His stock of jewelry, fancy eoods, hard-ware.cutlery.glass hard-ware.cutlery.glass hard-ware.cutlery.glass and queensware,pictures and picture frames, dry goods, tinware, lamp goods, toys, and in short, a complete assortment of everything necessary to beautify and meet the requirements of home, are of the most reliable character and fresh from tbe best markets in the land. The entire business is conducted by N. Steiner, son of the proprietor. The l.eadlnn Jewelers. The jewelry store formerly owned by Frank Forschner.was purchased November last, by Messrs. Bock and Gbver, of Hazle ton. These gentlemen are skillful and experienced watchmakers and jewelers, and Mr. Clover, who has so recently taken unto nimseir a partner for life, has like wise taken charge of this important branch of their business and is ready to do your watcn gooa repair, ana manufacture jew elry, pins and badges, and carve the most unique monograms possible. Their spa cious store room and pretty cases are fille 1 with musical instruments or almost every variety clocks of elegant design and varied prices, watches for ladies and watches for gentlemen, of gold and of silver, together with a fiae assortment of chains, rings, pins, charms, etc., supplemented supplemented by a full and complete line of silverware. Anything in the jewelry line not in stock at FreeMud, can, in short order, be obtained from the firm's store at Hazleton. Mr. Glover is also agent for the Miller organ, manufactured at Lebanon. Liquors, Dry Goods and Groceries. Anthony Rudewick Is a native of Poland, Poland, Russia, and emigrated to this country country in 1873. The first seven years of his so journ on this side of the Atlantic were variously employed in Shenandoah, out west, and in U pper Lenixh, all the time familiarizing himself with the English language. In 1880 he engaged in the mercantile mercantile business at South Heberton, and in February, 1881, was Durned out. Proving himself to be possessed of more than ordinary ability as a man of business, and yet with scarcely any experience, he soon recovered from the loss and to-day to-day to-day has the largest store in the place. Mr. Rudewick is an extensive dealer in groceries, groceries, provisions, flour, feed and hay, dry goods, notions, boots, shoes and cloth ing, tin, glass and hardware, and liquor by tne quart, rne geutieman not only enjoys an extensive patronage among those of his own national following, bat six years in the business taught him the character of American living and the nature of bis stock is adapted to tbe wants of all classes. Anthony is a full fledged citizen and the possessor of a large and profitable farm in Sandy Run, all the re suit of atrip to America. A Successful Contractor. J. M. Cunius originally hailed from But ler Valley, and first obtained employment on the mountain in 1866 as journeyman for the Upper Lehigh Coal Company. His in tense desire -to -to become a good mechanic ana execute ms own aesigns made mm a faithful employe, and for two years he serv ed the company with credit to himself and profit to the firm. In 1868. when South Heberton began to enlarge her borders and carpenters were in demand. Mr. Cunius became an assistant to an extensive builder and for six months labored as sec ond place. His natural -ability -ability for the work and a desire to launch out in the world for himself, induced bim to enter the business of contractor, and from that day to the present be has been thus employed. Since the great boom inaugurated in Freeland in i8su, Mr. uumus nas naa yearly more than he could do. His business at first demanded demanded one horse and two assistant carpenters; carpenters; to-day to-day to-day ten horses and from seven to ten men are almost constantly en eased performing the work in hand. Id 1884 this solid contractor paid out 537,000 for ma terial alone and erected sufficient buildings to make a good sized village. Mr. Cunius has an immense store of lumber in stock. from the heavy foundation timbers to the shingles for the roof, together with all kinds of trimmings, doors, windows, etc, etc. He also delivers all the coal retailed at Coxe's breaker, at Drif ton, to consumers. ' AaXu'ternrialna- AaXu'ternrialna- Milliner. Mrs. M. L. Lnbrecht is amoog the oldest residents of the place. Coming to Free- Free- land in 1871 and opening a dress-makinsr dress-makinsr dress-makinsr establishment in connection with a millin ery store, her place of business has a his tory that antedates the very name of the town itself. During all these years this estimable lady has devoted her attention to the avocation peculiarly interesting to her, and the latest Btyles of hats and dresses in eastern cities have found a prompt imitation imitation in Mrs. Lnbrecht, and her patrons leave her shop with gaiments hi haimony with the demands of tbe bonr. Employing skillful ' and ' experienced seamstresses. orders are promptly filled and good work performed every time. In addition to the ioregoing Mrs. Lnbrecht keeps on band a fine stock and full line of millinery goods, notions and fancy goods, always a fine selection of" feathers, flowers, ribbons, plumes, birds for hate, laces, embroidery. buttons, dress trimmings, collars, both for ladies ana children, etc., etc Experience is a good teacher, as the old adase has it. but might we not, with the same propriety. amxm mat experience is a eooa n tie IT These requisites meet in, the subject of this sketch, which accounts for the satisfac tory condition of trade even in the face of tne depressed condition ot the times. Groceries, Boots, Shoes aa4 Tegetable. "tWr T." Stafford Is one of" our business men that took a course of Instruction In the mines previous to bis embarkation In the grocery , business, , and labored with the Upper Lehigh Company for sixteen years. He' served term of three years la the capacity of .School Director and proved himself a stanneh advocate ef the public school system and a faithful friend of tbe teacher. His place of business Is located on the corner of the Square facing Center street and two doors above tbe postoffice. Looking over the list, the gentleman has a first class stock in general merchandise. boots and shoes, fmh fish and oysters la tneir asy, tozetber witn au tinrs oc vegetables; vegetables; also agent for tbe new Home Sewing Sewing Machine. Mr. Stafford is a fraternity man, ana nas for many years oeen an active member of the Lodge of Odd Fel lows, Is a 533. of Butler, and secretary of the Red Men. The Freeland Hose Com pany entrust th records of their proceed ings to M.r. ourxoro. . A Thoroach Basiaesa Mil a.a4 Reare- Reare- , aeatativo Citlsea. The subject of tils sketch Is no stranger to the. people of Luzerne county, .born near White Haven In 1842, at the age of 21 be began bis business career as clerk fcr the firm ot Sharp, Welse Jt Company, at Eckley. Here be remained until '64, when, because ot the troublous condition of the times, be donned the blue and with musket in baud hastened to the scene of earn ace. Receiving his discharge in 186. he returned to his home and immediately thereafter engaged as first clerk iu the company store at Drif ton. Faithful to the duties a.-signed a.-signed a.-signed him he soon elicited the confidence of those high in authority. an through a succession of promotions rose to the station ot chief book-keeper book-keeper book-keeper and paymaster of the company company in 1869. and superintendent f the store. Always a caret ul observer of public public affairs and a firm adherent to tbe principles principles of the. political party tbtt received his suffrage, Mr. John Tarnbach became a candidate for the office of County Treasurer Treasurer in 1883 and was elected by a sweeping sweeping majority. During the first two years of his" incumbency he lived in Wilkes- Wilkes- Barre and devoted his attention exclusively exclusively to the finances of the county, but the lat year, in addition to bis official position, he superintended the company store at Drif- Drif- ton. When his term of office expired his old place wasopen for him and again he went j back to take lull charge ot tne store, a bo of tbe buying, nere he remained until tbe 1st of May of the present year when he concluded to use bis experience In tbe in terest of himself. Mr. Tarnbach accordingly accordingly rented a large store room In Berbeck's block on the corner of Center and Main streets, and fitted it with the most complete stock of goods outside of our large cities. The store is centrally located, 25 feet wide and 6G feet deep and adorned by large and magnificent show windows. An experience experience of twenty -three -three years in the business business world has familiarized the gentleman with the wants of the general public, as the appearance of the store will attest Goods are displayed to a decided advantage advantage and efficient clerks are employed to exhibit such commodities as are in the background. Mr. Turnbach makes a specialty of thefinest line of goods. The dre3 goods department is well equipped, innumerable styles of fashionable fabrics being displayed. Plainer goods of all sorts are also present, it being the aim of the proprietor, apparently, to supply the wants of the people in the broadest mnse of the term. Fancy goods, notions and trimmings keep pace with the general character of dress goods. Hats and caps are also on the list, and boots and shoes are made a speciality. And then again the shelves are beautified by an excellent selection of glass and queen s ware, mere are also groceries groceries and provisions In abundance and of the best quality. The proprietor is agent for the Portuondo and Tansll cigars and the boys say they are of a superior leaf . Possessing such a lull and hne assortment of good?, purchaser can always find just what they want at Joan l urnbach s store, and an immense trade is gradually being secured. Boots and Shoe and Gem lorn rn'n Sn ppliex. The firm of J. P. Williams & Company is one of the established business places of Freeland. X P. Williams camo to this j town in 1881, and by strict attention to his ! new enterprise soon built up a vary lucra- lucra- ' tlve trade. Wishing to locate in a wider ! field and thus give his business tact a fair i play, be went to Nanticoke in 1883, and 1 commenced operations, possiblv on a little. i larcer scale. But he did not abandon his store here in Freeland. No not at all. He at once secured the services of James Bolln and gave him entire charge of tbe store and the business has gone right on, increasing increasing as the population increase? and boom ing under the influence of full time and large pays, A purchaser entering this store will at once become convinced that the firm keeps on hand a full line of boots and shoes of the best quality and for prices that will suit the pocketbooks of all degrees of fullness. And why, you ask, can this nrm oner sucn good goods at such reasonable prices? bimply because both branches of this enterprise act in happy unison large quantities of goods are par chased to supply both stores, and special terms always accompany large purchases. purchases. And then tbe elegant hat and cap supplies, in short a complete assort ment of gentlemen 8 furnishing goods, is kept on the sneir "on an occasions and under all circumstances." We would cot forget to mention, for the benefit of the Jroung gentlemen, the latest styles of col-ars. col-ars. col-ars. curls and neckties. Mr. Bolin is as sisted in bis management by John H. Hughes, who pleases the customers by his courtesies. Men's Youth's and Boys' Clothios. A very considerable portion of Freeland is embraced in what is called Five Points, not by any means so abandoned as the famous Five Points of New York City. for we are going to talk about some threwd business men and honored citizens who dwell there. Prominent anions these is the firm of George D. Thomas Jb Company, the largest and most extent-ive extent-ive extent-ive dealers In men's, boys' and youths' clothing in the place. Mr. Thomas is a native of Slavoni, Austria, and came to this shore in 187 3. After ten years of varied occupations which were fruitful in acquiring the habits, customs and language of the Amer-can Amer-can Amer-can people, te commenced the career of a clothier, and from a careful examination of this place of business one would imagine imagine that the proprietors were both thoroughbred business men with an experience experience acquired at the principal mart of the world. They can furnish yon with a hat or a cap or a necktie, a valise or a trunk for traveling, and the most reliable linenwear in tbe region. Anything that the most fastidious gentleman of society would wish for, is kept in stock and for -reasonable -reasonable figures. With an experience that can be measured by the brief span of nine years, this firm report satisfactory results. - H. Weaaer ot Soas, Grocers. These gentlemen keep a grocery store on the corner of Center and Luzerne streets. They have on band a large stock ot goods, which embrace about everything that one would expect to find In a first-class first-class first-class grocery. All tbe staple productions In the provision line, which go to make np tbe every day bills of fare in the homes of rich and poor, are kept by Wenner & Sons. Fancy shelf goods, canned fruits, vegetables vegetables and meats, dried fruits, crackers, etc., are all in stock and of the very choicest choicest quality. Teas, coffees - and spices, crockery, glassware, tinware, brooms, brushes, etc. etc. such articles as are in- in- dispensable to the grocery trade, thesfl een-tlemen een-tlemen een-tlemen have In good variety. This firm is agent for Shalb's flour, ot which they handle large quantities to meet the demands demands of tbe consumers. This business is almost exclusively carried on by the sons ot the co-partnership, co-partnership, co-partnership, and tbe experience they obtained as clerks for Coxe Bros, it Co., in the eight years, adapts thetn admirably to mercantile life and accounts for their mar velous acctss daring tbe three years of their business carter. The Oat raj IImoU . Agood hotel is an tad'pensible lnstitm- lnstitm- tton to any community.- community.- Its sueceat de pends upon its location, capacity and management, management, As tor the location, none better -In -In the limits of the borough could have been obtained.-for obtained.-for obtained.-for tbe structure stands upon a tot that Is centrally located sod surrounded by a wealth of foliage that makes U tbe favorite resort In tbe summer. Tbe Central is second to none, ra capacity la town, save the Birkbeck Block; possesses large, airy rooms, a spacious veranda, over which extends a balcony tbe entire width ot the bouse. Though there are thirty compartments compartments and over fifty guests can be comfortably entertained, yet almoet every day the management Is obliged, beeaos of the want of room, to refuse lodgings. The popularity that the bote! enjoys ts doe to tbe efficieDt and genial landlord, Mr. A. C Heiney, whose experience of twenty years ia both hotel and boarding booses enables him to eater successfully to the Wants of the traveling public Commercial agents have learned this fact and call on their friend "Heiney" Invariably when business business Invites them to Freeland. To accommodate accommodate this class of patrons, the enterprising enterprising landlord has fitted up a sample room for tbe commercial fraternity, something that can be found in no other hotel in Free- Free- land. There ts a bar in connection with the place, stocked with the best liquors in town, a pool room and barber shop in the basement beneath, ana a stable in the rear, where the nest accommodations for tbe comfort of the equine family may be obtained. obtained. Baker?, Coafeetloaerr aad Ire Creaan. The family bakery of Albert n. Jacob! , 22' Centre 6treet, is noticeable for its neatness neatness and inviting appearance. Tbe goods are displayed In a most Inviting manner, looking so clean and wholesome, and sending sending out so delicate an aroma as to tharpen tbje appetites of all who enter. Every feature of the place betoken the rnterprtMt of the proprietor. Several klcdi of bread are provided for the varying sppetitesof the customers, including the common white, graham, rye, Vienna and the iich, fine grained cream loaves, white rolls, buns, biscuits, etc, complete a variety which should satisfy the most exacting. Cookies, pies and fancy cakes provided for elaborate occasions can be served r n short notic. Albert 11 is the son of Mr. Jacobs, of Hazleton, the far famed confectioner, confectioner, whose ice cream takes the premium wherever It goes. Learning the business with his father and spending all his life ia the manufactory of sweet good, he come to Freeland to do his best and furnish the people with the celebrated Jacob's Ice cream, retail and wholesale. HissUtckof candies is fresh from tlie moulds and there is an infinite variety of the French, stick, mized and boxed ready for wholesale trade. The bakery in connection with the establishment establishment is under the immediate supervision supervision of Charles E. Bender, s man who thoroughly understands his business and he Is aided in his work by tbe services ot three men. (team Faralalni Goods. Diagonally across the street from the Central Hotel and adjoining Henry K con's furniture store Is a place of business whose proprietor is John Smith. The firm was I originally Smith, Miller 3t Company, but I four years ago they dissolved, and Smithy, as he is familiarly called, took possession of the stock and has marched on to victor y. Coming to this town in Vue days of Its infancy, infancy, and tiding over those scenes of apparent apparent inartivity, he is now one of the established established merchants of the town, and cairies a stock that would do justice to tt.e largest town3 in the state. To plea- plea- his customers, customers, he spares neither time nT raoiu y, nd men, women and children can obtain of this gentleman anything in the shoe line if whatsoever quality, aud for prices suitable to all. He al-o al-o al-o has h.its nod ctpi that would not belittle the dignity of a prince toflon; elegant ties, cuff and collars, suspenders, suspenders, hosiery aud handkerchiefs to be brief, a complete assortment of first class furnishing goods for gei.tlf-men gei.tlf-men gei.tlf-men are kept on tne sueii every season or th.' jcar. iir. .Smith is a remarkably modest mm, Utile inclined to talk of his achievements. He says he does a plain, straightforwaid business, business, endeavoring to deal fairly by all aud give full value for all he receives. The I.radlDE Merraant of Braver Mrad r. The firm of T. K. Williams k .Son hs a reputation as broad a the mountiin upon which we lower enders live. The business began began under the name of Wiol worth and Williams Williams in 1875, and was thus carried on by them until February, 1877, when Wood-worth Wood-worth Wood-worth withdrew and T. K. Williams be. came the sole proprietor. Mr. Williams, enlarging his business by starting a butchery butchery and devoting bis entire attention to the interests of the same, his eldest son, T. IL Williams, In July. 1882, took entire charge of the store. The steady growth of the trade during the past four years of the nw management Is prima facie evidence that the preprietor has studied the interests of the public as well as his own. Poor goods and nigh prices are not conducive to success In any line of business, and In these days of sharp competition, the dealer who succWds must cut bis corner close and be content with a moderate profit, while the goods he sells must be of such quality as to stand the test of time. This Is T. H. Williams' notion of doing things. Commercial agents declare him to be the shrewdest buyer on tbe mountain. Purchasing large quantities of merchandise at special rates for cash, accounts fur his ability to plaoe his goods before the public at such astounding figures, keeping two delivery delivery wagons busy the entire year hauling commodities to purchasers. Ills store is tbe most rpacfous building in Beaver Meadow. The first floor is stocked with general merchandise, embracing a full stock of boots and shoes, floor and feed, confectionery and fruit, while an examination examination of the up stairs department will re veal a splendid assortment ot tinware, queensware, wood and willow ware, to- to- getber with an immense storeroom of furniture furniture well intended to grace the kitchen as well as the parlor. Tommy has also as an annex to bis business, a large lirery stable and can furnish you with a turnout, the best la the market. He is also agent for the National Steamship Line. A Srw Departure. Messrs. William and Daniel Kline, two rising young men of Freeland, commenced wholesaling and retailing lime and builder' supplies about three year, ago. Their pUco or bmdneas on Walnut street below Pine was originally a small structure, but on year ago, increasing their lino of goods by tbe addition addition of floor, feed, hay and grain, they were also. obliged to enlarge tbeir rtore bonne, and to-day to-day to-day this place of business compares favorably with tbe largest of tbe town. Ingenious Ingenious chutes for tbe reception of tbe cereal have been constructed, thus facilitating facilitating tbe handling of large orders with dispatch, dispatch, while compartments well adapted f or tbe storage of hay. together with apparatus designed for handling the same, are features original with this firm. But this is not tha extent or Improvements. Too company is putting in an engine with Deceamry machinery machinery to manufacture chop, and will then be ready to enter Int an extensive wboleaalo trade in tbe article. Kline Bros. constructed before their wtore a scales, the first - and only scale In town, which is another great hit, and demonstrates business ideaa. Wljliam ti aa official of Coxe Bros, 'and Co., and devotes his time in tho office at Drifton, leaving Dan to transact the business ot tbe trn.