Inquest Results - Marcella Gronemus Bye

brnzy Member Photo

Clipped by brnzy

Inquest Results - Marcella Gronemus Bye - a Inquest Finds No Criminal Liability In...
a Inquest Finds No Criminal Liability In Woman's Death By ROBIN THOMPSON (La Crosse Tribune Staff Writer) A coroner’s jury deliberated for about a half hour Thursday afternoon before ruling that there was no criminal liability in the death Saturday of Mrs. Marcella Bye, 50, of 2010 S. 21st Terrace. Dr. Paul Dietz, the pathologist who performed the autopsy on Mrs. Bye, testified at the inquest inquest that the cause of death was a subdural hemorrhage. He also said the left side of her face was discolored and swollen and that the left side of her neck was also discolored. The doctor added that there were many pinpoint hemorrhages over much of the rest of her body. A microscopic examination revealed that Mrs. Bye had cancer cancer in practically every organ of her body, including her heart, lungs and brain, he explained. Dr. Dietz told the jury that this condition produced a tendency for Mrs. Bye to bleed easily because because the blood failed to clot normally. Because of this, he said, he couldn’t determine whether being struck had contributed to her death. The doctor testified that he couldn’t preclude other possible causes, such as the woman bumping her head accidentally. accidentally. “If she hadn’t had the bleeding tendency, she wouldn’t have been as affected,” he said. Dr. Dietz testified that there were no bone fractures and no hemorrhage in the brain itself. While Leland Bye, the woman’s woman’s husband, didn’t take the witness stand, a statement he made to police was read at the inquest. He reportedly said that he and his wife consumed almost almost a case of beer by 10 p.m. Friday and that they got into an argument about midnight. Bye told police that both of them were intoxicated, and when his wife used profanity toward toward him, he lost his temper and hit her with a back hand on the left side of the face. Mrs. Bye then went to bed, he told police, and later came out and started the argument again. At that time, Bye reportedly said, he grabbed her arm and hit her with his right fist. Police detectives testified that Bye said he heard his wife snoring snoring after she went to bed in her daughter’s bedroom. The Byes’ 19-year-old son, William, also took the witness stand and told the jury that he heard his mother mother snoring about 6 a.m. Saturday; Saturday; and his 13 - year - old brother, James, testified that he heard his mother crying shortly after that. Bye reportedly discovered his wife was dead about 9 a.m. Saturday Saturday and called police. In his address to the jury, Asst. Dist. Atty. Michael Mulroy said the problem in the case was that Mrs. Bye wasn’t a normal normal person. He told the jury that the two charges they should consider were manslaughter and homicide by reckless conduct. conduct. However, he added, “I doubt if the state could prove beyond a reasonable doubt either one of them.” District Attorney Burleigh Randolph told the jury that the principal reason for the inquest was that it appeared likely that Bye striking his wife started the chain of events that led to her death. Jurors sworn in by Coroner Robert Holmquist were: Kenneth L. Curran, 1127 Main St.; Edward D. Campfield, 426 S. 15th St.; Mrs. Janice Moore, 1621 S. 20th St.; Mrs. Dorotha Reuter, 311 Rose St.; Judd Bowman, Bowman, 614 Gilster St., Onalaska; and Mrs. Marilyn Kennedy, 1118 S. 20th St. SHOPPING DAYS Till CHRISTMAS In • mw *«* ty *f U Cr**M «i«Kh*n>* (H*«* Hi* t*H*win§ 4*f*» •* »*»i t NOVEMBER 1971 S s I m I T 291 30] ___DE >" ~7 m CE» T ilBER 11 m if r »•: 1 i \jt Z 6 ___ L_ ~7~ 8 T 9 iot 1 13 15 ' 16 BftZ 20 21 22 ; 23 ,m2L

Clipped from The La Crosse Tribune03 Dec 1971, FriPage 1

The La Crosse Tribune (La Crosse, Wisconsin)03 Dec 1971, FriPage 1
brnzy Member Photo
  • Inquest Results - Marcella Gronemus Bye

    brnzy – 24 Jan 2016

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in