Clipped From Idaho State Journal
few the of entertain in conversation, western Recovery CAN YOU IDENTIFY THESE MEN? -- They comprised Bancroft's top-notch baseball team in 1912. Many of them are still in the area. But 37 years do bring changes in men's appearances. For names of those above see accompanying story. Bancroft. Idaho, once part o Bannock county before it annexe itself to Caribou, is one of the mos progressive towns in the Gem Val H dates its beginning from an old water station called "Squav Creek," where Wilson Price Hunt fur-trading partner of John Jacol Astor, the latter becoming one o: New York's biggest millionaires led a company of GO men over the Great Divide into Idaho territory Five of these men detached them selves from the party to trap anc trade in the area. They were Edward Robinson, John Hohack, Jacob Rezner, Martin Cass and Joseph JYIiller. Treaty With Indians In the summer of 1881 President Kimball of the U. P. R. R. J. K. McCammon, together with other officials investigated the possibility of the construction of the Oregon Short Line railroad in Idaho. A treaty for the right of way was made with the Indians and on June 1G, 1882 the line reached the territorial boundary near Montpelier, Idaho. Construction followed west from this point along the old Oregon Trail to Soda Springs, Bancrof ithen Squaw Creek water station lying . midway between S o Springs and Lava Hot Springs. The town of Bancroft was therefore the outgrowth of a water tion built by the O. S. L. R. Squaw Creek in 1882. Town Renamed in 1892 Squaw Creek was changed to Bancroft in 1892, a map of town was recorded and the town officially became Bancroft July 1898. Bancroft received it's name Mr. W. H, Bancroft, who In 1897, became the first vice presi-- dent and general manager of the O. S. L. E. R.. There were no settlers here al the time of the building of the railroad. W. O. Greer and Theodore Robinson had the contract for the grading of the roadbed and right. way. Parley P. Williams first L. D. Bishop of Chesterfield, Idaho, worked on the O. S. L. R. R. Chester Call, who lived at Chesterfield, owned a sawmill. This mill was brought to Squaw Creek and set up on the lot where White's house now stands in Bancroft. A Mr. Willey was the first foreman of the ..awmill.