Dean Duncan & Mike Sigg - Midwest Auto 1976

mcm_tx Member Photo

Clipped by mcm_tx

Dean Duncan & Mike Sigg - Midwest Auto 1976 - THE lOLA REGISTER; FRIDAY. DECEMBER 31. 1978...
THE lOLA REGISTER; FRIDAY. DECEMBER 31. 1978 PAGE 6A — - ~ Jefferson and the bustjing East Side Hiser Implement Company Located a half block from the square at 224 North Jefferson, Hiser Implement Company has displayed its wares for 39 years practically in the middle of town. That used to be the common practice when George R. Hiser established established his dealership in 1937. In any case, he had long had an auto repair shop in that same location. George Hiser ran the business in that same place for 23 years, when his son, Wayne E. Hiser, bought it in 1963. The business sells Pioneer chain saws, riding lawn mowers, and carries the New Holland, Glencoe and Kewanee implement dealerships. The business offers parts and service on all their equipment. Wayne Hiser started working for his father in the sixth grade, when he was the "official battery checker," and has fond memories of asking his father why he was trying to sell rubber tires on tractors when other people thought steel wheels were the only kind strong enough. Today, Wayne has been in the business for almost 30 years, and while there is some consideration of moving, there is also much hesitation. Perhaps there really is "no place like home." He hires five employees in addition to his wife, who helps with the bookkeeping. Norman Printing Company Dean Norman first established a printing shop in 1940. For a year it was located under the lola State Bank, then moved to the Baptist Temple for a year before he joined the service. Fifteen years later, Norman moved moved back to lola and got back into the printing business, buying the Allen County News Journal from Milford Langley. Langley had owned the business since 1926. It is thought that he bought it from a Mr. Lang. The business remained at 113 West ' Madison until January, 1975, when it was moved to its present location at 214 North Jefferson, At that time the name of the business was changed to Norman Printing Company. Besides changing the name, the move also trebled the business's space and-gained a co-owner, Steve Norman, who had been working at the business since 1973. The business does commercial printing. printing. They employ six persons. Dale's Sheet Metal With $500 and determination, Dale Marlow quit his job with Miller Sheet Metal in 1968 and opened his ovra sheet metal business at 1403 East Street. A year and a half later he bought Miller Sheet Metal and moved his business from East Street to the 211 North Jefferson address. Marlow had worked for Miller since 1959 and had been in the same line of work for two years before that. Without digging out too many old papers, he guessed the Miller operation had started in 1955. The principal business has always been the sale, planning and installation installation of heating and cooling systems and sheet metal work. Iliough he works with all brands, he is the local Lennox dealer and concentrates concentrates on this brand. He employs seven. Public Exchange "Buy, sell and trade. That's the way it works here. I'll take about anything and hang on to it. Eventually, someone will come along and want it. That's the way I always figured." Those are the woras of Willard Doolittle, owner and operator of Public Exchange. He and Floyd Johnson started the business on 106 West Street in 1935. They both put up $25 and hoped their business would work. Johnson pulled out about six months later and Doolittle has had it alone since. The store was moved from 106 West Street to 109 and later to 111 West Street. Then, in 1946, he moved to the present location at 111 North Jefferson. Jefferson. The store did not change again until about five years ago when Doolittle spent $100 to join the Pawn Shop Association in Wichita. He also paid the city of lola $25 for a pawnshop license, a fee he now pays every year. Asked how business is going, he replied, "Just up and down; ya never know-kinda like people. But I've had 30 years in this dump," he continued, "and I've made a living. Guess that's about all anyone can do." lola Deluxe Cleaners Once upon a time, there was a laundry service in lola that had three delivery trucks. These trucks would go around in town and in 11 other area cities to pick up dirty clothes. A few days later the trucks would return to deliver the steam-cleaned goods. Then the fuel shortage hit hard. The once upon a time was three W ' years ago. The laundry is lola Deluxe Cleaners. The cost of fuel to operate soared from $360 a month to $2,000 in just two months time. The soaring cost ended an era for many in cities like lola. Steam laundries disappeared overnight. And the employment at Deluxe dropped from 20 to 2. remained there until 1964, when the) moved into a larger building acroH the street at 1 South Jefferson. Sin years later, the business picked iqp and moved two blocks further south tc the 207 S. Jefferson address they have occupied since. Duncan has long been the atOt owner, though his son-in-law, Mike Sigg, has now joined him in a partnership. partnership. Their business has alwa^ been the selling of automotive supplies supplies and services, with a concentration concentration on auto tires and exhaurt systems. Midwest has expanded into hardware hardware and housewares and recently bought a Radio Shak franchise to go into the hi-fi business. The store has eight employees. Here is a sampling of the faces along Jackson:above, left to right, JoeSikes, John and Tom Saxton, Mike Sigg and Dean Duncan; below, Ronnie Van Kirk, Blanche Cleaver, Forestlne Farling, D. Paxton and Max Lewis.. Bottom, right, Shirley Adams and BUI Burcham. Jim and Teresa Phillips, owners, still operate their dry cleaning service service and have plans to remodel the back end of the business, which they have owned since they bought it from S.D. Prouse in 1955. They are as proud of their business now as they are. of its long history. The business was first established in 1897 by C.E. Newton. He owned it until around 1930 and the business changed hands several times before Phillips bought it. Phillips, too, has been in the laundry business a while. He first started in Kentucky in 1930 He has four more years to go until he has spent 50 years helping folks stay neat and clean. He plans to reach that milestone, then will "go fishing." The Chuck Shack Numerous enterprises have been located on the Northwest corner of Jefferson and Jackson. More recently it has housed Virginia's Flower Shop, owned by Virginia Willie, the Dine- Out Cafe, owned by Mrs. Ethel Ekstrom, and the Chuck Shack. Earl Taylor established the Chuck Shack in November, 1973. He and his wife and their two daughters plus one non-family member, have operated the restaurant since. Located at 106 North Jefferson, the restaurant offers a full menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Forestine's Restaurant Forestine Farling opened a restaurant restaurant at 15 North Jefferson 24 years ago - about the time that the block she chose for a location began to lose it's grocery stores and change character. character. Her business was primarily hamburgers then. As the drive-ins became popular ~ and numerous—Forestine's changed with the times and expanded its menu to offer full meals from breakfast through dinner. That was about 10 years ago. Then the restaurant opened at 7 a.m. and didn't close until 10 p.m. Those hours have been cut back because of increased competition for workers in lola and the substantial increase in after-hours eating establishments establishments located in the community. Now lunches are the mainstay of the business and Forestines serves a wide clientele from the business district each day, along with shoppers who find themselves downtown at eating time. She employs two full time and two part-time persons. Fryer's Food Store If any store illustrates the effects of time throughout this century. Fryer's Grocery is certainly a poignant example. Sixty-six years ago Charles Fryer and three of his brothers, established the store at 923 South Washington. Two years later, in 1903, they moved the store to 2 West Jackson where it remained until 1907 when it moved to its present location at 11 North Jefferson. During those early years and for many more to come, people used to sit inside the grocery playing che(ikers and perhaps occassionally buying a pickle from the pickle barrel. Several people used to work inside the store, while several others ran ' delivery trucks to any home in town. During those days. Fryer Brothers was a full-service grocery. By World War II all but one of the original four brothers who had established established the grocery had left, and during the war the name was changed to Fryer's. Though it is still called Fryer's, time has wrought many changes. The grocery is, and has been since 1952, owned and operated by Bob and Marcia Fetherlin, son-in-law and daughter of Charles Fryer. The Fetherlins run the grocery, which is the second oldest in Kansas, by themselves. Dryer's Shoe Store One of two shoe stores in town. Dryer's was established in March, 1958. Three men. Max Lewis, Dale Dryer and Willis Loring founded the store. Since then Max Lewis has been the manager. The store has always carried a full line of shoes for the entire family and a few years ago began carrying some leather purses. Lewis said that the store had always been in the same location, at 9 North Jefferson, and expanded once in 1961-1962. He noted that there are fewer stores in town just carrying shoes (there had been four when he first began his business) but that the discount and variety stores had offered stiff competition competition Jones Jewery Established in 1962, Jones Jewery is the newest^Of the three jewery business in town. Durwood Jones had first opened the store at 108 West Street and had stayed there three years before moving into his present location at 5 North Jefferson. - Jones sells watches, clocks, dia- -monds and, of course, jewelry. He also does repair work on watches, jewlery and clocks. Oklahoma Tire and Supply One of the pillars of the square, Oklahoma Tire and Supply, opened its store at 3 North Jefferson 30 years ago and has been there since. Similarly, the Saxton brothers, John and Thomas, Thomas, have been the sole owners and managers since their opening in 1946. In those 30 years business has remained about the same, they said. They sell . automotive and home supplies plus a fairly complete line of sporting goods. No plans for change in the future, life's been good as it is. They hire some part-time employees. The Sunshine Plant Boutique To the owners of plant shops at least, business is always growing. Janis Potter and Patsy Sigg bought the growing store in March 1976 from Lynn Lucia, who started it the year before. The two sisters renamed the shop to the Sunshine Plant Boutique and it is still located at 1 N. Jefferson. Besides selling numerous kinds of live plants, the store sells a large array of plant hangers, pots and other plant paraphanalia. They will also make macrame holders on request. Flewharty Office & School Supplies Nancy and Tom Flewharty moved to lola two years ago. They bought ^ Layle's Bank and Office Supplies from John and Bula Layle at 110 South Washington and operated the business there until they moved it to its present location at 1 South Jef- fierson on April 1, 1975. From New Canaan, Conn., the Flewhartys moved back to where Mrs. Flewharty's mother, Mrs. Ina Powell, and brother, John, live. She was born in lola. The Layles began selling wallpaper in the rear of Cooks Drug Store in 1932. They purchased the Register Office Supply from Harold Smith in 1946, and were in the South Washington location for 29 years. Edging east Stoner's Corner Boutique Barely a year old, Stoner's Comer Boutique is one of the newest clothing stores in town. Like her store, Shirley Adams is also young. She is 25. Miss Adams started her store from scratch in December, 1975. Among an array of incense, brass incense burners, burners, jewelry, various leather items, she stocks her boutique with women's clothing featuring both modern and foreign styles. The styles are "modish and comforjtable," she says. She also sells a few men's shirts, mainly imported styles. The store employes three people and is located at 110 East Street. Self Service Grocery lola's Self Service Grocery was started in lola in 1922 in the building now occupied by Dryer's Shoe Store. That was back in the days when the first block of North Jefferson was known as grocery row. Groceries were all delivered then, and sold on Buche had previously been owner- in 1948 Bill Burcham joined the manager of the Ganible store for store as owner of its meat market. In eight years before startmg his present 1952, Self Service moved away from hnstnpRR ! 4 business. Paxton Hardware Paxton Hardware is just a year old this December. Dee Paxton bought it then from Charles Wilson. But as a hardware store,' the business has thrived in its present location for more than half a century. Charles Wilson bought it from Arthur Brigham in 1953. It had been grocery row to its present location to offer customers more parking and a larger selection of merchandise. In 1966 the Burchams bought the business from Mrs. Clara Grahaftn, who started the chain back in the Twenties. The Grahams had their headquarters in Chanute and had stores there, in Humboldt, lola and elsewhere in this area. Bill still runs his own meat market They sold wallpaper, paints, art and ——~. ... ^nuti. xi, nau uccn ijiii siui runs ms own meat marsec craft supplies, office supplies as well Brigham's Hardware since the I920's and while he has kept abreast of the handling textbooks. - long enough to encompass most of rapidly changing time in food Fifiwhartvs arp nnvu collino n the mpmnrips arnnnH tn/la <r _5 , c The Flewhartys are now selling a large supply of art and business supplies, wallpaper and do picture framing. S.H. Kress & Co. S.H. Kress was established in New York City in 1887 as one of the first chain store operations in the nation. Five years later, in 1892, Kress came to lola along with its gas boom and zinc smelters. It is today one of a handful of businesses that date back to the last century in lola. The store is in its second building, as the first was destroyed by fire sometime in its early history. It is believed that the present building was built on the site occupied by the first structure, however. Kress is no longer owned by the original company, but is now one of the divisions of a conglomerate, Genesco, which was the General Shoe Company until its shortened its name. Through the years it has kept its image as a retailer of general mer- chanise at low prices—the five and dime that has been familiar to four generations of Americans now.Ronnie Van Kirk has been manager for the past six years of the lola store, which employs six. Economy Shoes For so many years that the memories memories of living men run not to the —^--w "" M 5«», W^OU contrary, there has4)een a shoe store ^elpmg them in the busy spring in this location. season. In 1%8 Mr. Rundall sold it to Mr. and Mrs. Joe Sikes, who own it the memories left around today. merchandising, refuses to pre- Wilson concentrated on building the package fresh meat, business into a center for quality "I'd rather cut it to the customer « sporting goods and added this em- order. It stays fresher that way and phasis to the operation. The present my customers get jiist what they owner is continuing in this tradition, want," he says. BiU and 12 employees The firm provides employment for handle the large volume of busmess three. — tola Lawn and Garden Center Jerry Newsom and John Richards went into partnership when they bought one of lola's older businesses in 1976. Both men are employed elsewhere, however, so the store is kept open by Donna Graves. They bought the store from Harry Hays who had ptu-chased it the previous year from the Jack Heim- bergs. Jack and Luetta Heimberg bought the store in 1969 from Mrs. Carl Burgess. In 1970 they moved the store from 110 East Street to its present location at 201 South Jefferson. Jefferson. The store was originally established after the turn of the century when L. H. Wishard had it in conjunction with his hardware store on the comer of East Street and Jefferson, where the Sunshine Boutique is today. He eventually moved it into a place of its own, behind the hardware store on East Street. Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Rundall purchased the seed store from him in 1936. In the late 30s their neighbor, Mrs. Carl Burgess, began done. Zero Lockers Leland Gumfory bought the Zero Lockers from E. D. Stalnaker 14 years ago. He is still in thie same location at 114 East Street and still processes custom meats. Lockers are ialso available for renting. Stalnaker established the business in 1942, nine years before he began the Zero Packing Company. He sold that to William Gumfory, a brother of Leland's. The Lockers employs three full- time, and two part-time persons. now, believe the store's history goes back 65 years and takes in at least four previous owners. But the story is a murky one and the names of the characters involved have faded. Today it is managed by Eileen Cooper, who, with three others, keeps what must be one of the state's oldest shoe stores humming along. Barr's Fashions John and Mary Barr of Chanute moved into the lola business world last Mawhen they bought the dress shop located at Jefferson and Madison on the northeast corner from' Johnnie Taylor. Before the store was "Johnnie's" it had been the Aladdin Dress Shop. The building was the location of Reynold's Drugs for some years prior to that. The Barrs own two dress shops in Chanute. Blanche Geaver, who had been employed at Johnnie's, is manager of the lola shop. Four full- time and two part-time employees are hired. Buche T-V & Appliances Lloyd Buche moved into this location to try his hand at television and major electrical appliance sales and service when Litwin's moved out. Mrs. Burgess who ran it until she sold to the Heimbergs. R & S Machine Shop Eugene Robb has continued his general machine work and welding services since he and Merle Sutterby established the R & S Machine Shop in 1948, but he is "about to retire someday," he says. Robb and Sutterby first opened the shop at 208 South Jefferson. They then moved next to the lola Bakery at 116 East Jackson. In 1960 they moved to their present location at 203 South Jefferson. Merle Sutterby left the business and it was renamed Robb and Sons Machine Shop. But, like Sutterby, the sons left. The business is still called R & S Machine Shop, but it is not Robb and Sutterby, or Robb and Sons, or even Robb and Son anymore. It is just Robb, who is about to retire "someday." Midwest Auto Store In 24 years Midwest Auto has moved three times, all within two blocks, and always on the same street. The first store was established in 1952 at 1 North Jefferson by Dean Duncan and Morris Eakins. They

Clipped from
  1. The Iola Register,
  2. 31 Dec 1976, Fri,
  3. Page 10

mcm_tx Member Photo
  • Dean Duncan & Mike Sigg - Midwest Auto 1976

    mcm_tx – 14 Apr 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in