Anton Jacoby August 13, 1934
50 Ye^rs Ag< In and About Alton August 13,1884 The Olty Council after extended debate appropriated appropriated $600 for the Improvement of Market street between between Third and Sixth streets. It was the plan to widen and grade the. street at the westerly side, providing providing an easy grade for heavy hauling from Piasa street by way of Fourth to Sixth and Market, The Council also authorized Installation of an iron bridge at the foot of Main street (West Ninth). The question question of whether the Eagle Packet Co. should be permitted permitted to maintain both a wharfboat and a warehouse warehouse on the levee was discussed and action deferred. Stricken with paralysis, the Rev. W. C. Clapp died at Godfrey at the age of 68. He had been for six years pastor of the, "Church of Christ" at that place. Funeral services were to be from the church witht the Revs. Platt of Brighton and Campbell of Oarrollton officiating. The Rev. Clapp's eldest son, Clement L., was editor of the Oarrollton Patriot. Sells Bros.' circus—four rings and a 50-cage menagerie—drew menagerie—drew great crowds to the circus grounds, and thousands witnessed the forenoon street parade. Some manufacturing plant* in the city gave workmen a holiday to attend the circus. Pickpockets who had followedt he circus kept the police on the alert, and one suspect was arrested after a circus patron reported losing his watch. Two Brighton residents were relieved of their wallets while waiting for the train at the C. & A. station. Jersey county Republicans had nominated T. T. Brock for circuit clerk; O. A. Snedeker for state's attorney; Dr. J. B. Tldball for coroner; and W. H. Edwards for surveyor. The Rev. Father Peters had purchased from A. Mather Lot 33 in Block IB at consideration of $450, a small house being Included. Mr. and Mrs. Anton Jacoby of Tenth street had one of the finest flower gardens In the city, with many choice varieties under cultivation.