History of St. Columcille Church, Churdan, Iowa

billeull Member Photo

Clipped by billeull

History of St. Columcille Church, Churdan, Iowa - i j \ j j , j northern road j bedj which and...
i j \ j j , j northern road j bedj which and the pride to the prnrtoh were MfcbMl Flttpateick. Wm. MeCmkk. Blake. Edward Manor »»* Tatter Sr. St. Columdlle Churches Put Up In Years Of 1889,1930 ColumciUe's parish were Rev. Wm. ·settng BMMbeth following president. The first resident priest. Her !T; C ^ e -^!f JLTLS *Z, »»'*'* Ssi^r-Sr ·£? «£«««. tory was built right near the Aimt church. The aim of the club was to Other pri«U wfto served St. the In received No. oldest Schumacher. Rev. George O'Brine j and the present pastor. Rev. James;. It Iowa Jas F. Sweeny. B*v Rev. c. P Sweeny. B*v. Francis McNeil. BOT. Oeo. Hkkey. Rev. D. L. Clark. Rev. Jowph H. Schultes. Rev. John Tfyi-- «·* Rev. Leo During the pastorate of Rev. Jo- com- St. Columcille's Caihoiic church in Churcan worsliippee tn this builulng before the present brick j building was constructed, is In the early development of Greene county religion was not noted noted for its progress. The population was cosmopolitan and no one sect felt itself equal to the task of organizing organizing the scattered members or of erecting a church. However, the spark of Christianity Christianity was not dead. The few members members of the Catholic congregation in Churdan invited a priest named Father Toner from Council Bluffs and when he arrived by train, one of the farmers, with a team of oxen hitched to a lumber wagon, would meet him at the station in Jefferson Jefferson and convey him and the neces- ·sary equipment for offering Mass to one of the parishioners homes in the area who had previously agreed to entertain him during his stay. On following days he held services services on an improvised altar in the home at which he was staying. All the neighbors of the vicinity were invited to attend. This- continued until a priest named Rev. Jas. Quirk came to re- 43000. side In Grand Junction. At stated \ times. Feast days such as Easter-and · the Catholics invited him to offi- Croups, as it were, because no chapel had yet been erected. Finally Rev. Geo. Costello came from Ireland and affiliated with the Dubuque Diocese; the Bishop was happy to adopt him as an official official member of the clergy of his large tract which was practically practically devoid of opportunity to educate educate any of its own young men who sepb H. Scfaultes plans for a church were drawn tor the architect. architect. E. O. Dasnon Jr. of Ft Dodge. in 1939. With the approval of Rt. Rev. Bishop Heelan the contract was let In Uay, 1190. to Frank E. Gray Construction Co. of Carroll, at a cost of KMtf. Work was begun immediately and the paffanmm*- was completed and the corner stone laid Aug. 30, 1930 with ceremonies conducted by Monsignor Monsignor James Griffin of Ft. Dodge in the absence of Rt. Rev. Bishop Bselan. The church was dedicated June 2. 1981. The present congregation consists consists of about 95 families. ActJ/e organizations are Knights of Co- and Cross residence was at Lohrville. Father George, as he was familiarly familiarly called, was progressive and ambitious, to serve, but the means of erecting any building to be used solely for church purposes was quite a problem. As a substitute, Father held Sunday services in a j small building on West Main street' built by John Maboney for a rink' and now owned by the Reading Hardware Co- He was happy in the number who attended the services and soon made plans to provide a building which could be used solely for church service. His committee of Thos. Fitzpatrick and John Maboney Maboney and the parishioners followed followed his suggestions and the result result was the first Catholic church in Churdan built in 1889 with a .ting capacity of 200 at a cost of erica and the Rosary society. For 29 Early Members The first church was small and the material used in its erection 1 ciate in the several centers, little was neither stone nor brick but

Clipped from
  1. The Jefferson Herald,
  2. 26 Oct 1954, Tue,
  3. Page 77

billeull Member Photo
  • History of St. Columcille Church, Churdan, Iowa

    billeull – 11 Jan 2014

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in