McEwan Daily Herald History, p. 2

mactwin1 Member Photo

Clipped by mactwin1

McEwan Daily Herald History, p. 2 - Pace 18-THE HERALD, Provo, Utah Friday, May 15,...
Pace 18-THE HERALD, Provo, Utah Friday, May 15, 1970 •^•jHMMemttMMflMngttffiM "flnflHB :'•:<<-;? ORIGINALLY QUARTERED on East Center Street, the Herald occupied this building on First North (just east of the present First Security Bank corner) for a dozen years or so until 1923. The New Century Printing Co. was a Joint tenant. THE HERALD moved into this building at 50 S. 1st W. in 1923, a year after becoming a daily. Years before the structure had served as a dorm for the adjacent Proctor Academy (later the Elks home). THIS BUILDING at 50 S. 1st W. was erected in the early 1940s to replace the old dorm structure. The Herald outgrew it and built new structure at 190 W. 4th N. in 1957. Herald History-Continued (Continued From Page 17) officially the end of plural marriage. The Provo Woolen Mills & Sons Cooperative Mercantile Institution were among the principal advertisers. Patent medicine advertising was running rampant. Everything in this line from "Dr. Steinhart's Manhood Restorer" to a locally- manufactured "Vegetable Blood Purifying Pill" was offered for sale. New Building In about 1884 the Territorial Enquirer moved from the original location at 154 W. Center to 24 N. 1st W., where Mr. Graham constructed "a fine brick building." As the paper expanded, additional space was rented in the basement of the adjacent opera house. The paper gained in quality and influence. The Deseret News commented about the Enquirer: "It is ... one of the best-looking papers in the Territory.. ." San Francisco Golden Gate Gazette said: ". . . the Territorial Enquirer has recently discarded its 'patent outside' and now looks as pretty as a girl of sweet sixteen." On April 26, 1887 the paper advertised: "A Washington Hand Press for sale cheap." That could have meant only one thing: A new press! A Page 1 "ear" of the paper in December 1889 proclaimed: "Presses (Enquirer) are run by steam power." That meant a big advancement over the hand- press era when the paper could, with good luck and no breakdowns, breakdowns, barely manage to print 200 or 250 papers an hour. (Today's Herald offset presses can print at the race of 28,000 papers an hour.) Type was still set by hand at the Enquirer, however. Linotype machines had been introduced, in primitive form, in the late 80's, but didn't make their Provo advent until later. Smoot President In 1887 the paper was incorporated incorporated as a stock company with A. 0. Smoot (father of Sen. Smoot) elected president; Harvey H. Cluff, vice president; W. H. Dusenberry, John C. Graham, S. R. Thurman, George Q. Cory, and Joseph T. McEwan directors, and B. W. Driggs Jr. secretary-treasurer. Capital stock was $25,000. Mr. Graham, who continued as the "guiding genius" was the largest stockholder. The first year's business was good. A 10 percent dividend was declared; 20 per cent went to the reserve fund, and 20 per cent was placed to the credit of real estate and machinery accounts. During this period the Enquirer was campaigning vigorously for statehood. Graham thought it was imminent imminent & changed the paper's name from Territorial Enquirer to Utah Enquirer Jan. 3, 1888. The paper was enlarged at this time to 20 by 25& inches. On Nov. 30, 1889 the publication turned daily. The Daily Enquirer was of six- column format 17 by 23 inches. Publication of the Utah Enquirer as a semi-weekly continued. Early in 1890 the Enquirer was reorganized with W. H. Cluff as president and David John as vice president. Turns Republican The era of the "party press" was in full swing in America. In 1891 the Enquirer entered the national political camp of the Republicans, when the purely territorial parties were dissolved. From then on greater interest was taken in national and international events, with the accent on politics. At the height of its circulation, the Enquirer employed 21 workers. Counting the semiweekly, semiweekly, which operated the same time as the Daily Enquirer, Mr. Graham attained a circulation in Provo of 1300, in Utah County of 3300 and in the Territory of 4700. The financial panic of 1893 plus sharp competition, which had appeared on the horizon, brought sharp reverses to the Enquirer. The Enquirer was always a strong supporter of the LDS (See HERALD HISTORY, P. 19)

Clipped from
  1. The Daily Herald,
  2. 15 May 1970, Fri,
  3. Page 18

mactwin1 Member Photo
  • McEwan Daily Herald History, p. 2

    mactwin1 – 06 Apr 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in