Our John Wesley??

trolls_r_me Member Photo

Clipped by trolls_r_me

Our John Wesley?? - ACifyS/nce/855 Alpine Likened to Alps By...
ACifyS/nce/855 Alpine Likened to Alps By BARBARATHYSSEN ALPINE — One hundred years ago, 1873, the little settlement of Alpine was 23 years old. It had been incorporated as a city Jan. 19, 1855 when the name was changed from Mountainville to Alpine by Brigham Young. He said that it reminded him so much of the Alps of Switzerland. The mayor was Bishop Thomas Jefferson McCullough. The Utah Legislature granted a city charter to the settlement of Alpine which included four square miles. The officers were to be a mayor, two aldermen and three councilmen. The office of aldermen was abolished in 1867 and since then the offices have consisted of mayor and five councilmen. These offices were administered without pay until 1878. Among the many unique provisions of the charter was one authorizing the city council to provide a fine not to exceed $100 against any person who should refuse to accept a public office. Population in 1873 included 37 families. A new church building was started at an approximate cost of $3,000 in 1872, additions were added to this building in 1887 and in 1902. The first church meetings were held in a log cabin on cemetery hill, then the DUP Relic Hall was constructed in 1863 and dedicated by Brigham Young. With the growing population ALPINE CHAPEL built in three sections. The first section started in 1872, with additions in 1887 and 1902 as population increased. THE LOG HOME of John, and Fannie Moyle, prominent early-day Alpine settlers, was built in 1870. John Moyle, left, and Bill Hamnett are the men in the photo. came the third church meeting hall in 1872. A stake conference was held in Alpine after the two additions in 1908 and the new meeting house was then dedicated by President Joseph F. Smith. A post office was established in 1854 with Bishop Isaac Houston as first postmaster. Mail was brought to Alpine by ox team and later horses. Ephraim Nash was the first mail carrier for Alpine. The Deseret News was brought in one a week and citizens would go to Mayor John W. Vance's to hear it read. In 1899 the first school house was built at about Second North and First East. It was a two-story red brick building with a granite stone foundation. Business included silk making, shoe repair, blacksmith, manufacturing of adobe bricks and caskets, and a co-op store. Alpine also had a shingle mill which was also used to make molasses, a saw mill, a grist mill and a cording mill. Alpine people made their own clothing with the spinning wheel located in many homes. , The first elephone was brought into Alpine in 1899 and was located in the old co-op store. Electric lights came about 1909. Social activity in Alpine was a city affair. Square dances were held quite often with one waltz during the evening. The music was provided by John Wesley Vance who played the bass violin. He was occasionally supplemented by Fred C. Clark and his triangle. Tickets were paid in the form of produce. One night some one brought a large squash, which was considered more than the cost of the tibket so some potatoes' were given for change. Today in 1973 there are over 2,000 citizens in Alpine, with: three LDS Wards, The post office no longer exists and mail is brought by automobile from American Fork post office. There are two carriers, one covering Alpine, Highland and rural routes of American Fork, the other Alpine city proper. Business is still plentiful, but in other forms — an accounting firm, a lumber company, upholstery company, service stations, and other modern day necessary business. Artists of all, kinds have come to Alpine building unusual and unique homes and studios. The citizens enjoy a friendly rural atmosphere with neighbors helping neighbors, and many citizens still are reminded of the Alps.

Clipped from
  1. The Daily Herald,
  2. 05 Aug 1973, Sun,
  3. Page 43

trolls_r_me Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in