Clipped From Janesville Daily Gazette

ctilton115 Member Photo

Clipped by ctilton115

 - Page 4 - THEJANESVILLE GAZETTE Tuesday, October...
Page 4 - THEJANESVILLE GAZETTE Tuesday, October 7, 1969 Apparent Poisonings Appall Dog Lovers By LEANNE MARTIXSEN Prince, a large, gentle German shepherd that enjoys his role as the neighborhood mascot, may be permanently disabled -- he seems to favor his right hind foot whenever the weather turns damp. Although he is as frisky and gentle as before, he is not eating as well; consequently, his ribs are showing. Tippy, a rat terrier and beagle mix which was ill and not expected to live, survived and is gaining strength at home. His owners took him to a veterinarian after they noticed he was getting stiff and crying all the time as if he had a ^stomach ache. Jose, a 4-year-old Chihuahua, 'was sick but recovered. He was luckier than the 6 -month- old puppy which went into convulsions while a group of neigiiborhood children stood by screaming. It was taken to a veterinarian but was dead on arrival. The puppy's owners were planning to give the dog to _a neighbor girl. The four dogs, owned by Janesville residentsliving on or near Putnam Avenue, apparently were poisoned recently. Their owners are appalled by the notion there are people who poison dogs for the sport of it. Open Season? There is ample evidence such individuals have been enjoying an open season in Janesville recently. Prince was shipped to Janesville from Virginia by the grandparents of Tamara, Robert and Michael Howard, children of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Howard, 1338 Putnam Ave. Mrs. Howard thought she heard Prince outside the bedroom window early one morning about a month ago and went to investigate. She brought him inside the house and, upon Since Prince became quite homesick at the clinic, he was" brought home before he was • completely well. "About 20 kids came to see him the night we brought him home," I\!rs. Howard said. "He was still so sick, he couldn't walk. We let the kids in one by one and they rubbed his head as they walked by. Prince just wagged his tail when he recognized somebody," she said. Prince apparently became ill after chewing a bone coated with strychnine. Mrs. Howard said the rope with which he had been tied the night he was poisoned was not broken or chewed. "He was given the poison and" let loose, but he stuck around. Wlien he got so weak, he knew he needed help and came to the bedi-oom window," she said. What kind of a person would poison a dog? "It would have to be someone who hates dogs. I don't know why anyone else would do such a thing," Mrs. Howard replied. About a week after Prince was stricken, a 6 -month-old • mixed-breed puppy owned by • Mr. and Mrs. Paul Ellis, 1332 Putnam Ave., apparently was poisoned. The dog was put into Mrs. Howard's car but was dead by the time she reached a veterinarian. Mrs. Howard said the couple were planning to give the puppy .to a neighbor girl, Patricia Kuehne, 12, daughter of Mrs. Hazel Kuehne, 1326 Putnam . Ave. The Kuehne family dog, Dutchess, was killed by a car about a year ago. "Patti came into the house aiid cried when she found out the puppy was dead. She was upset but would have been .under any circumstance because she loves animals," Mrs. Kuehne said. Like many mothers, Mrs, Kuehne was wary about taking me. I probably would have ~ a connection," she said. given in — he was a nice httle dog." What does Mrs. Kuehne think of dog poisoners? "It's hard to conceive of anyone doing it. "There are better ways of handling problems and more humane ways of killing animals," she said. "This isn't the sort of thing decent people do," she added. Are Better Ways Patti has some opinions of her own about the subject. "I can understand people not liking dogs but not so much as to kill them. If they're going to kill them, they could do it some other way so they don't have to go through so much misery,"she said. Tippy, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Myron Harwood, 1214 Jerome Ave., apparently was another poisoning victim that survived the ordeal. The dog was failing when the Harwoods took him to a veterinarian, who said he did not expect the animal to live. "It appeared to be some kind of toxin," the veterinarian said. • "It was an emotional experience waiting for Tippy to make it. We all prayed that he would live," -Mrs. Harwood said. "If anybody who docs this could see how it upsets a home, they wouldn't do it," she added. Tippy stayed at the veterinarian's office about four days before returning home. Jose, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Fraunfelder, 1302 Putnam Ave., may have been another poison victim. "Jose broke loose and came home very, very sick," Mrs. Fraunfelder said. "We gave him everything possible to make him vomit. After he vomited, he seemed to snap out of it. If he hadn't, we would have taken him to a vet," she said. "We're not sure he was poisoned, but it happened around the same time as the in another pet. "The kids—other poisonings, which made "Somebody would have to hate dogs and children to do, such a thing," she added. Previous Dog Died Mrs. Fraunfelder said the family's German shepherd was poisoned when they lived in rural Edgerton in the 1950's. "I hope I never see anything like that again. It was awful," she said. Mr. and Mrs. Harold Warren, 1238 Putnam Ave., are the owners of a Dachshund named Huntzi. They have had the dog _ since it was five weeks old. Although Huntzi was. not one of the neighborhood dogs ap- •parently poisoned recently, Mrs. Warren has some opinions about the subject. "It's a • terrible thing; something pretty hard to cope with. I can't really believe anybody would do something hke that," she said. She spoke of the danger of poison-covered objects falling into the hands of small children. "Children are as apt to pick up things as animals are,", she said. Dr. 0, II. Helbing, Black Hawk Veterinary Clinic, said, poisonous objects present more of a danger to children than dogs because dogs can" vomit whenever they want to. The main way dog owners can keep their pets from being poisoned is to keep them on a leash, Helbing said. By doing so, owners can see to it that their animals eat only what, they are supposed to eat. Helbing also advises dog owners to be leery of "clironic complainers" in the neighborhood and keep their dogs away from the homes of such people. Dr. Richard Knilans, who has a veterinary office at 1632 Center Ave., also advises dog owners to make every effort to keep their animals tied, especially if they bother people by barking. Knilans said dogs which bark at night aggravate some people (Gazette Pnoto oy Mary Gericke) PRINCE IS KING — Smiles are the order at the Robert Howard home, 1338 Putnam Ave., since the family's German shepherd, Prince, recovered from a near- fatal bout with strychnine poisoning. Pictured from left with Prince are the Howard children, Tamara, 15, Michael, 11, and Robert, 12. animals to eliminate the noise. Often a man who works late will slam the car door when he arrives home aijd set the neighborhood dogs barking. The resulting noise will wake up the man who is trying to get some sleep before leaving for his early morning job, Knilans explained. Prescription Needed "Strychnine is one of the most common poisons because it's quick and deadly. It can't be sold unless a person signs for it," he said. Knilans advises people to get their dog to a veterinarian as soon as possible if they suspect poisoning. "Since minutes count, people should call ahead to make certain the veterinarian will be Sgt. Lawrence Loveland of the Janesville Police Department said no one has been arrested in connection with the recent dog poisonings. "We're working on it," he added. Loveland pointed out that dogs which are allowed to run loose are breaking a city ordinance as well as being exposed to the extra hazard of poisoning. People who suspect their dog has been poisoned should contact the police, department as soon as possible, he said.

Clipped from
  1. Janesville Daily Gazette,
  2. 07 Oct 1969, Tue,
  3. Page 13

ctilton115 Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in