1983 Kilauea eruption

staff_reporter Member Photo

Clipped by staff_reporter

1983 Kilauea eruption - ' . if ' 4 - 4..- ' - . ? v' 1 . r $ jf- . Mi 1...
' . if ' 4 - 4..- ' - . ? v' 1 . r $ jf- . Mi 1 . it. . J . 4- For the few who were able to see Kilauea's latest handiwork, the sights were spectacular. At left, J.D. Griggs of the U.S. Geological Survey captured a -unique arch fountain at the vent measuring 40 feet high I from the top of the arch to the lava pond below. And below, at dawn yesterday, Boone ; Morrison discovered an ethereal view of an almost- j phosphorescent river of lava flowing from the left down to the rising sun. ! Eruption stops; lava crawls on By Hugh Clark and Jan TenBruggencate Advertiser Big Inland Bureau KALAPANA, Hawaii Kilauea's eruption stopped yesterday afternoon after sputtering through midday, but scientists would not say it is over, and magma continued to move underground. The end of the lava flow miles away continued to creep through Royal Gardens subdivision. Several structures are endangered, but apparently not immediately. Meanwhile, smoke from the eruption and from the Big Island brush fires hung heavily over parts of the Big Island, Oahu and Maui yesterday. The state asked sugar and pineapple companies on all three islands to refrain from open-air burning so the problem would not worsen. Officials warned that sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide from the fumes could cause problems for people with respiratory ailments. Amy Hamane, field director for the American Lung Associa- . . ----- tion in Hilo, said people with lung problems such as asthma, emphysema or chronic bronchitis should stay indoors and drink a lot of fluids. The Lung Association also advised sponsors of a run-walk benefit for senior citizens on the island today to not allow those with heart or lung conditions to participate. Back at the vent, the lava fountains ranged from 60 to 90 feet through the night, but pressure at the summit stopped falling about 10 p.m. Thursday, suggesting magma was no longer moving out along the East Rift Zone toward the eruption. It began rising about 2 p.m. yesterday an indication new magma was again building up at the summit. Fountaining stopped at 9:37 a.m., but roared back into action about noon with three closely-packed vents and 100-foot fountaining. Two of the vents died out shortly, and the main vent be came quiet at 2:51, said scien- See Eruption on Page A-4 -

Clipped from
  1. The Honolulu Advertiser,
  2. 05 Mar 1983, Sat,
  3. Page 56

staff_reporter Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in