crabbs mill,emmirsbrg,MD

kteaser1 Member Photo

Clipped by kteaser1

crabbs mill,emmirsbrg,MD - THE GETTYSBURG TIMES, THURSDAY, MARCH 1C, Story...
THE GETTYSBURG TIMES, THURSDAY, MARCH 1C, Story Of Founding Of Historic Emmitsburg, Maryland / : , '. *--^ ' by James A. Helraan ' (continued from the March 2 editions of The Gettyburg Times) Character of Early Settlers In localities settled by the early emigrants a great deal of superstition superstition prevailed, spooks, tokens, hobgoblins and the like. The different different nationalities settling here appear appear to be free from this humbug, as no reference is made to it by the oldest citizen. It has its origin nmongst the ignorant. The class of persons settling here give evidence of being men of more than ordinary culture for that age. Hence, the lack of superstition. Take the first named person and his occupation, Capt. Richard Jennings, merchant. The merchants of that day and long after were all trained trained men, having served an apprenticeship. apprenticeship. It is not so now. I would put a wager, if we could decide decide it, that Capt. Jennings was an educated man, and a trained merchant. merchant. Take the other early settlers; Adam Hoffman, hatter, a trained mechanic: John Rogers, a tavern keeper. That did not mean the keeper of a groggery. Oh, no. It meant a fine gentleman, such as engaged in that occupation at that time. Michael Smith, blacksmith, was an expert at the anvil and an intelligent mechanic. Frederick Baird, carpenter, has left evidence of his handwork in the" house he byilt. James and Joseph Hughs were merchants and architects. Could we suppose for one moment that they, practical men, could harbor harbor ' such deceptions as beset the ignorant. Never! - Leading- Men Samuel Emmit was a far-seeing man, a man of intelligence. William Shields was a surveyor, always true to the compass. John. Hughs built a two-story brick house in a day when log cabins were the answer to most housing problems. Christian Flautt, who built the first tan yard; John Ropley, a justice of the peace for Emmitsburg, Taneytown and Pipe Creek; Martin and Margaret Cocoran, who taught school in 1800, all were well educated. educated. If the settlers unknown to us were of this class, which no doubt they were, we are assured superstition superstition was below par. - Later, the men who came as settlers, settlers, gave evidence they were men of strong character. ^-Whether- in the church, or professions, as merchants, merchants, mechanics or what not, they gave a moral and religious tone to tills entire community which It feels today, and which is demostrated by their descendants. The foundations laid by these first men have never been dug out, nor will the structure they built upon them; their names are unknown; none of their posterity posterity in many cases, live here, but scattered through the West can be found those whose ancestry were born here and Emmitsburg Is remembered. remembered. Tan.Yarfs The first tan yard in the town was built by Christian Flautt. He sold it to Lewis Motter in 1798, who successfully successfully carried it on until nis death in 1837. Opening a store in part of his house, Motter acted as merchant and also as magistrate in addition to his duties in the tan yard. The yard passed into the hands of his son, Lewis, who continued the enterprise enterprise until 1880, when he closed the vats and abandoned the business- .Michael Sponseller carried on a tan yard at the same time in the lower end of town. This yard was not operated later than 1850"-. All in Ruins Now Jacob Oyster conducted a yard on the lot east of the foundry at an early date. Jacob Troxell, who married married Oyster's daughter, continued the business until his death in 1833. after which his sons, Samuel and William, continued the yard until Samuel's death in 1851 when the yard was closed with William moving moving to Kentucky. Jacob Rlckenbaugh conducted a yard at the west end, afterward he' moved to Waynesboro while Jacob Motter continued at the yard. In the county Arnold Livers conducted conducted a tan yard below Mt. St. Mary's college; Gorley conducted a similar business up In the rncuntair.; Robert Annon's yard was located on Tom's creek. This yard was burned, burned, rebuilt and continued for a time. Taylor Brothers purchased the farm connected with the yard and tore down the buildings in 1876. Today all of the tan yards are in ruins, thus an enterprise of great value to the community has passed away. We observe when one enterprise enterprise ceases there is no other to take its place, and where industries once proved profitable here, now the same products have to be sought for elsewhere. Why is it? Grist Mills The oldest mill was the brick mill built by John Troxell which was torn down in 1905, and was located on Toms creek. It was built in 1778 or 1779. In, this mill meetings were held to recruit and arrange for soldiers during the Revolutionary war. Philip Nunemaker built a brick mill on Tom creek in Pennsylvania near here. Crabbs built the mill known as Maxell's and now as Martin's. Martin's. Crabbs had a mill on Tom's creek below the. pike. Later the Sisters of Charity had the mill, then tore it down and built the present mill. Community Centers Jonathan Hazelet built the Carroll mill about 1800, and sold it to James and Henry McDivit. James a n d Henry McDivit built the' present Covers mill prior· to 1825...' About 1860 they rebuilt ; the 1 :, structure- Rhodes mill has been .running perhaps perhaps a century. -* It was built by a man named Kephart ln J i80Q then owned by a Shultz and finally by Rhodes. The Hartma'n mill was built by Dr. Robert Annan for a clover mil and afterwards was converted converted into a grist mill. The Grable mill is an old stand,, perhaps a century old. The Sheets, Sell and Myers mill is another old mill as George Sheets was one of the earliest earliest men to settle in that section, arriving in 1746 or earlier. At these mills meetings were arranged for whatever the community was interested interested in. as they were centers for the people to gather with many customers waiting for their grists. Young men met here to play cards, dominos, and pitch quoits. The trouble connected with the large water wheels in the winter-time \vas overcome by the turbine wheels. Now the picking of the burrs has been displaced by the improved roller process. The millers in this locality in 1906 were David Rhodes, George Ginglo, Cover, Gump, Howard Martin and Daniel Hartman. The mills of this century make superior flour to the process of the last, giving winter bread, but there are some amongst the oldsters who say the flour is not .so sweet as that ground out by the slow turning of stone against stone by the low and stately passage of the giant water wheels of an earlier day. . Post Office Poplar Fields was the name of the first, post office. William Greene- myer was the first postmaster. He died in 1802, in his 30th year. He was a son-in-law of John Troxell. The second postmaster was Patrick Reid, landlord of the Eagle Hotel. | The third was Louff. a German; the fourth, Jacob Hughs; fifth, Joachim Joachim Elder; * s i x t h , Dr. A. Taney; seventh; Joachim Elder; eighth. Robert Crooks. After his death Jacob Crooks, his son, was named, postmaster followed by James Knauff. Maj. O. A. Horner. S. N. McLain, James A. Elder, S. N. McNair, James B. Elder. John A. Homer, EZ.IU ft. Ziuuiicim.ui, unu Emma Zimmerman. Stage Coaches and Mail Everybody has heard of the stage coach which still is within the memory memory of some in Emmitsburg. When the stage left here in the morning, very early, for Baltimore, the passengers passengers were in for a whole day's jogging along. They were weary and worn out when they reached the city. It was no uncommon thing or the stage coach to have from ten to twelve passengers. In addition addition the boot back and front was filled with baggage and the mail. The stage stopped at Taneytown and Westminster to change horses as well as mail. An omnibus left Baltimore, with its headquarters at the Western hotel, Howard and Saratoga Saratoga streets, for Emmitsburg. If you wished to come west you went to this hotel and engaged passage. In Emmitsbug early in the morning the driver would go along the street blowing a horn to awaken the passengers. The stage was continued continued until 185G when the railroad was made from Hanover to Littlestown Littlestown with the stage then running there daily, carrying the mail. When THE REXALL DRUG STORE HOUSER'S DRUG STORE EMMITSBURG, MD. Prescriptions SODA FOUNTAIN DRUGS Patent Medicines . Magazines ^Stationery- Number I Certified SEED POTATOES and .i .i _. Garden Seeds C. G. FRAILEY EMMITSBURG. MARYLAND the railroad was made to Gettysburg in 1358, the route of the stage was changed to Gettysburg where the! passengers could take the train to i more distant points, with the passengers passengers and mail transferred to the Wetsern Maryland railroad. Kailroud Development When the railroad was completed to Westminster the state coaches made a daily trip there. As the road \ advanced to Linwood, to Union Bridge, to York road, Double Pipe Creek and Thurmont, other changes were made in the coach schedule. The stage continued running to Thurmont until the, construction of the Emitsburg railroad. In 1872 the road was graded, the tracks: were laid in 1875 and the first train was run over the line on November 22, 1875 when all trips were made free TIRE AND BATTERY SHOP GAS and OIL Garage Open 7 A. M. until 0 P. M ' Store OIMMI 7 A. M. until 10:30 T. :\f. Saturday 7 A. M. until 11:15 1». M. TIRE INSPECTION SERVICE H. W. Roger" and C. E. Myers, Props. to acquaint the population with the railroad. The first mail was carried carried on the Emitsburg railroad on December 6,1875; the first excursion ;o Baltmore took place November 27, 1875 with 400 passengers crowd- Ing the tram to Baltimore. John Donohue was the contractor for the Emitsburg railway while Taylor Brothers built the bridges. The mail at one time was carried on a horse from Frederick to Gettysburg. Gettysburg. Later, in I860, an omnibus was run between Emmitsburg and Frederick. Frederick. Each former method was abandoned as the next came into existence. An incident in connection with staging occurred late in June 1863, The commencement at St. Joseph's college was over on Thursday-^ Wagons loaded with trunks started early for Gettysburg. Later 100 from the school loaded into stages drive to Gettysburg to board the train. Both the baggage wagons and the stages found that the trains that day came no closer than Oxford, so they drove the additional additional ten miles to New Oxford to the train. Lee's army was on the march. The train was the last to run west of Hanover until affer Battle of Gettysburg. GINGELL QUARRIES For Every Purpose EMMITSBURG Maryland 70RA Penna. EMMITSBURG TAVE Balhintme Beer on Draught TWO SERVICE STATIONS Under Same Management r^ ^ £sso A Good Home Makes A Good, Steady Citizen Don't hesitate to buy the things your home really needs --especially can get the atr these extremely low -prices; during our annual March Furnitui'e event. We invite you lo visit through our store without any'Obligation, 3-Pc. VELOUR LIVING ROOM SUITE Was $119.00. Now '. SOFA BEDS, were $62.75, NOW PLATFORM ROCKERS, Were $38.75, NOW. .$50.00 .$32.00 HIGH CHAIRS S5.95 up SEIBERT BABY CARRIAGES Were §25.95. now S20 FELT MATTRESSES SI0.05 up SEIBERT BABY CARRIAGES Wore $21.00. now $l»!.7r» PETROLEUM PRODUCTS OPEN EVERY SUNDAY AND WEEK DAY Fashions for Men Women and Children We are ready to show you a complete line of Clothing, Furnishings and Shoes for . the Spring and Easter Season. Styles are up-to- the-minute and the- colors 1 that make up a gay spring season.' _ ''"'.'' · MODERATE PRICES S CLOTHING STORE "On the Square" EMMITSBURG, MARYLAND GOOD COOK ^THRIFTY SHOPPERS COMPLETE

Clipped from
  1. The Gettysburg Times,
  2. 16 Mar 1944, Thu,
  3. Page 7

kteaser1 Member Photo
  • crabbs mill,emmirsbrg,MD

    kteaser1 – 27 Nov 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in