monday july 30 1962

josannemarie Member Photo

Clipped by josannemarie

monday july 30 1962 - House Fire Sends Woman To Hospital , . in j F ?...
House Fire Sends Woman To Hospital , . in j F ? remen esti A ia ted damage to A 49-year-old woman residing in Crescent Gardens was reported in good condition today by an attendant at Timken-Mercy hospital, Canton, whe> - 3 she was ad- i milted Saturday night, apparent-! ly suffering from shock as the I result of a fire in her residence. Mrs. Pearl Martelli, wife of Vernon Martelli of 179 Rowmont | ave SW, was taken to the hospital j jin an ambulance'of-the 'Meyersj. I Lake volunteer fire repartment,] summoned by Perry lownship i volunteer fire department No. 3 which extinguished the "fire. • * * ACCORDING TO a member of No. 3 department, the fire started in lhe basement of the Martelli residence where a religious candle | is thought to have been burning. Mr. and Mrs. Martelli and thei former's mother. Mrs. Francesj Martelli 83, who resides with them, saw smoke emitling under! the cellar door to the first floor! of the brick structure, the fire-j men said " ! Members of the department! were called about 9:30 and con-[ fined the blaze to the basement i where the fire had burned to"the j ceiling above. The basement was i filled with smoke which also ~ made its way to the first floor, the firemen reported. The elder Mrs. Martelli was treated with oxygen for smoke initiation by firemen at the scene. The elder Mrs. Martelli stayed Saturday night with her daughter, Mrs. Sullivan Gambow of 2150 E Tuscarawas st, Canton, and went i to the residence of a n o t h e r: daughter, Mrs. Earl Guynup of 2612 Abbott pi NW, Canton. Sun- i day. She is staying at the Guynup ] - retidence at the present time. Martelli apparently suffered!his no ill effects from the blaze and | was reported at work at the Ber-i ««, division of R - epublk Sted ! ; rp . in Canto n, today. ? j the house at ^ a relative said food in a __ |th basement ap parentelv would; bfi gpoiled because of th ' e neces.|?Jgi sity of turning off the electricity.' * * *

Clipped from
  1. The Evening Independent,
  2. 30 Jul 1962, Mon,
  3. Page 2

josannemarie Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in