Bartz & Buchard

jopolony Member Photo

Clipped by jopolony

Bartz & Buchard - Staff Sgt. Robert Bartz and Cpl. Earl Buchard...
Staff Sgt. Robert Bartz and Cpl. Earl Buchard of 192nd Tank Battalion Home Two more members of the 192nd Tank Battalion returned to Janesville Janesville Tuesday from hospitals in the United States, where they had been sent following their release from Japanese prison camps. They are S/Sgt Robert Bartz, brother of Capt. Albert Bartz, 192nd Tank Battalion officer who •was evacuated before the fall of Bataan, and Cpl. Earl Burchard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Orrin Burchard, Burchard, 413 Linn street. Days meant nothing—time went on unmarked to S/Sgt Robert Bartz, during three -and one-half years Interment by the Japs. Re recalled what little meaning he held for time then while chatting at the home of Us brother, Arthur Bartz, 220 N. Palm street after arriving in the city Tuesday morning from Schick General hospital, hospital, Clinton, la. /"One day was the same as another another as far as we were concerned over there," he said. "It old no good to keep track of time or the days and months." At the camp from which he was liberated on Sept 17, Fukuoka, in Japan, the prisoners were made to work long, tedious hours, Bartz himself and another Janesville 192nd Tank battalion man, Earl Burchard, working from 12-to 14 hours a day. Civilian* More Bratal "We used to work ten days on the day shift and ten days night and the only time we got off was when we switched shifts—then we'd get the extra time until the alternate shift It was a merry- go-round," he laughed. Treatment at Fukuoka was cough, the Janesville sergeant recalled. recalled. It was then, while working working in the coal mines under civil- Ian Nip supervisors, who were often more brutal than Jap guards, he said, that -he lost about €0 pounds. Soon after his return to the United States he gained even more than his normal weight and now tips the scales at 185 pounds. "Rice and more rice—only it was never enough," said the tank company man of his daily diet, which was varied frequently by portions of boiled greens—sea weed, sweet potato tops and even grass. Their three portions of rice a day at Fukuoka were measured measured in grams. After Bartz was captured, taking taking the Death March "pretty weU," he was in Camp O'DonneJl only a short time before being assigned to a work detail, hauling junk- scrap iron—to San Fernando as a truck driver. After four months of such work he was sent to. Bili- bld hospital for treatment of malaria. malaria. He also suffered pellagra and beriberi while in Jap hands. •They treated us pretty good during the time at Bilibid—and -I don't think it was just because I was in a hospital. The hospital orderlies and doctors were Americans, Americans, mostly navy personnel. Their medical supplies were scant but they had quite a bit of equipment needed in performing surgery." Felt Atomic Bomb Bartz was then sent to Cabanatuan Cabanatuan where he met several of the , Iftjal tank men, and then in July, 1944, went on an 18-day voyage aboard "what the Japs had been using as a transport—really a wreck" *o Japan. More than 80 miles away from Nagasaki when the atom bomb struck, the camp in which he was interned was rocked slightly even at that distance, Bartz said. "Of course, we didn't know what it was or where it struck." After a 10-day delay enroute, S/Sgt Bartz will return to Schick general hospital for treatment before before receiving his 90-day furlough. S/Sgt Bartz 1 brother, Capt Albert. Albert. Bartz, member of the tank company who was wounded in the Philippines and evacuated to Australia Australia before the fall of Bataan, was recently put on inactive service. service. Another liberated member of the 192nd Tank Battalion. Cpl. Robert Stewart, Ableman, Wis., was in Janesville Tuesday visiting with members of the unit now in the city on furlough. Re is a cousin of Pat Hanley, -1046 Center avenue, avenue, with whom he was residing at the time he joined the old 32nd Division Tank company, A/C GOBDON LAWBV TO BE DI8CHABGED Gordon Lawry, son of Mrs. Charles Lawry, arrived here Monday noon from Hondo Air Field, Tex., for a short stop before going to the separation center at Truax Field, where he expects to receive receive his discharge discharge within a few days. He was to graduate from air school Nov. 6. but was given his choice Gordon Lawry between graduating graduating and staying: In the armyuntil 1947, or receiving an honorable discharge, discharge, and he chose the discharge. IS , WITH M POINTS T/5 LeRoy A. Heider, veteran of 31 months in the Pacific theatre of operations, was honorably discharged discharged from the service with 96 points at Camp Grant Oct 29. He is now at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Heider, route 1. He was 'awarded the Silver Star, five battle stars for his Asiatic-Pa- LcRoy Heider cific theatre ribbon ribbon and two for his Philippine Liberation Liberation ribbon, as well- as the Good Conduct medal. He had been in the service three years and two days and . overseas 31 months. SK SOUTHERN WISCONSIN VETERANS RETCBN TO C. S. Three more men from this vicinity vicinity returned to the United States Saturday and Sunday. On the SS Sea Cat which reached New York Nov. 3 were S/Sgt. Kenneth Duxstad and Cpl. Paul Soper, Janes-

Clipped from
  1. Janesville Daily Gazette,
  2. 07 Nov 1945, Wed,
  3. Page 14

jopolony Member Photo
  • Bartz & Buchard

    jopolony – 11 Nov 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in