May 1961 3

jopolony Member Photo

Clipped by jopolony

May 1961 3 - who fell behind began shooting at us. Then they...
who fell behind began shooting at us. Then they came across to Corregidor as thick as sardines, screaming like Indians. Earl Fowler The Japs came over one night; we gave up the next day. Corregidor was surrendered May 6, 1942. Claude Yeast Shot like They took us to Bilibid prison and Cabana-tuan in the Philippines. One day four of my buddies told me they were going to escape. I said, "Boys, I don't think you can get through." They went on and escaped that night. They were gone about two days. The Japs brought them back, tied them to fence posts, and left them out in the hot sun for three days without water or food. No one was allowed to talk to them. The Japs had placed a piece of wood between their ankles just behind their knees and made them stoop down so that all their weight rested on the wood, which cut into them. Finally, they were blindfolded and led over to a big hole which the Japs dug. Their blindfolds were taken off. The Japanese firing squad backed off and shot them. The boys fell back in the hole. They squealed like a pig that hadn't had a good job done on the hog. Then the Japs ran up and shot down on them again. Most of our men had gone back into the barracks. But I watched because those four boys had asked me to escape with them. Maurice Wilson After that, they pot as in squads of 10. We had to sign a paper agreeing that if one man escaped, the other nine would be killed. Earl Fowler The Are ffele A fellow named Tyler went off mentally. . They caught him under a tree, eating oranges. They brought him back to our camp and put him in the ace hole (the guardhouse). He couldn't lie down; there was just room enough for one man to sit up. After a few days they put him in a larger building. We could hear Continued on following puges WILLIAM PEAVLER works for Totes Creek Country Club at Lexington. I- rt' '--''" : iftf'iii.xVftaiirf i i irnai tfamiMftftit'---' K- A AMONG the Americans at this prisoner-of-war camp in Japan is Maurice "Jack" Wilson of Harrodsburg. A prisoner bought a camera and made the photo after the first atom bomb fell and Japanese guards ran away. Two of f he survivors moved to Louisville TlIE 37 Harrodsburg survivors were all disabled to some degree. Several receive 100 per cent disability compensation. Some of their faces are among those in the prison-camp photo above. All their names appear on the plaque on the opposite page. Each has received many medals. Several Purple Hearts went automatically to those wounded or injured in prison camps. Three men are living in Lexington, George Edward Chumley, Lyle C. Harlowe and Morris S. Collier. Living in Louisville are Grover C. Brum-mett, 2605 Parklawn Drive, and Field M. Reed, Jr., LAWRENCE MARTIN Is still a bachelor. He is living on a farm. MARCUS LAWSON per cent disability .mminmm 3647 Kelly Way. William Gentry, who led the initial tank-vs.-tank encounter, is working for Corning Glass, and lives in Vienna, Wa. Va. . Nineteen live in Harrodsburg, Danville and Bur-gin. The remainder are scattered throughout the United States. Several men remained in service. Joe Anness recently retired after 20 years in the Army. Morgan French is stationed at Fort Knox, an instructor in the Armor School. Campbell K. Sadler is at Fort Benning, Ga., and expects to retire in June. Charlie Quinn is stationed in Germany. Two are hospitalized. Two have died since returning. also gets 100 compensation. CLAUDE YEAST is a painter. His brother was slain by the Japanese. 3

Clipped from
  1. The Courier-Journal,
  2. 28 May 1961, Sun,
  3. Page 99

jopolony Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in