Clipped From The Salt Lake Tribune

Calut Member Photo

Clipped by Calut

MRS. FAERBER SENTENCED TO LIFE IMPRISON Woman, 72, Receives Limit Term for Participation in Illegal Operation Overriding a jury recommendation for leniency, Judge Oscar W. McConkie McConkie Saturday sentenced Mary Quinn Faerber to life imprisonment, the maximum sentence, for second degree degree murder of Miss Myrl Warner of Fillmore November 18/1931. The woman, 72, thin, appearing to weigh only as many pounds, lay comatose comatose in her chair in Judge McConkie's McConkie's division of the Third district district court, half-hearing the contrast that was spoken from the lips of the court and from her attorney, J. Armol Armol Gleason, who had pleaded for a suspended sentence because of her infirm physical condition. "To confine her further would be imposing a death penalty," her attorney attorney pleaded. Carried From, To Jail Mrs. Faerber had been carried over from the county jail, and was carried back, apparently unconscious, by her son-in-law, Leslie Mellon of Battle Creek, Mich. Her daughter, Mrs Mellon, attempted to comfort her during during the session. Theodore, her son, and her son's wife also were in the courtroom. Dr. R. J. Alexander, county physician, physician, late Saturday afternoon ordered ordered that Mrs. Faorber be sent to the Salt-Lake general hospital for temporary temporary care. She was taken to the institution at once by deputy sheriffs. Her room there is guarded. Judge McConkie declared ha was deeply moved by the spectacle before him. Yet he emphasized it his duty to sentence her at the time. No continuance/had continuance/had been asked for, and the statutory time for sentence soon would expire, Ray Van Cott, district attorney, attorney, had pointed out. Moreover, the judge observed, con-, tinued suspense on her part would be worse for her condition than reality, reality, while prison authorities could make adequate arrangements for her care. Husband Serving Life Term Alfred T. Faerber, her husband, is serving a life sentence in the state prison for his part in the allegal operation operation at the Faerber home, while Paul Van Bode, who performed oper- 1 ations following the Faerber ones, is serving 15 years. Although Miss Warner was first operated on November November 18, she lived until November November 25. , ", IThave studied the case thoroughly, thoroughly, Judge McConkie said, "and I have thought that if he (Faerber) was guilty, she was equally guilty. The money for the operation was paid, evidently, evidently, at her suggestion. Taking the most charitable view of her assistance to her husband in his operations on Miss Warner, I think she was as guilty as he." t

Clipped from
  1. The Salt Lake Tribune,
  2. 17 Apr 1932, Sun,
  3. Page 26

Calut Member Photo
  • Clipped by Calut – 16 Mar 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in