Clipped From The Pantagraph
Smith operated a dry goods store at 117 E. Jefferson. He employed four to seven clerks, sold only for cash and always always knew how his business stood. He also was a Republican and a member member in good standing of the Masonic fraternity. The Knights of Pythias bought the house in about 1920. This was after Damon Damon Lodge 10 had absorbed two other lodges, Pythias 161 and Jesse Fell 164. The consolidation took place March 6, 1918, with a new set of bylaws prepared by W. H. Boyer, A. F. Hiencman and Fred W. Wollrab. The consolidation, while paving the way for a new K.P. hall, could be viewed later as part of a trend. Bloomington had seven K.P. lodges in 1900, including Blucher 176 (German). To the house at 406 W. Jefferson, Damon Damon Lodge added a west wing about as big as the original structure, with a kitchen on the ground floor, club rooms on the second and the main hall on the third. The members called their new home the Castle Hall and Club Rooms. Dedication ceremonies were held June 'New in 1923 4 , 4 This was the "Castle Hall and Club Rooms" of Damon Uodge 10 before a dedication program in 1923. The old garage behind building, once a coach; house, became lodge "den."