Article about J D McRainey in The Robesonian Feb 26 1951 about phone company in 1905
intersection Parkton Got Phone In 1905 PARKTON--The telephone accommodation accommodation had its date of origin origin in 180o. That was the year that Dr. D. S. Currie came to Parkton. Parkton. Realizing the handicap of no communication except by horse and buggy or walking, the idea of a telephone set-up was conceived. conceived. Doctor Currie built lines to Lumber Bridge, Sandy Grove and Rex. John G. Hughes joined in the movement by building another another line to Tobemory. There were phones placed in Hughes' Store, in the office of Doctor Currie Currie and the central was placed in the residence of Doctor Currie. Later a stock company was formed and extended the service to many homes. This organization was not permanent, for about 1912 the firm went to the wall. A committee of three was appointed appointed to arrange for a sale. A party from Fayetteville bought out all the stock and did little but collect the rent and tolls for one month and .then dropped the matter. matter. One member of the committee to sell was John Daniel McRainey. McRainey. Things were getting into' a JOHN D. McRAINEY muddle fast. The operators had not been paid and they were the verge of quitting. Mr. McRainey McRainey paid them and kept going for a while. Realizing that bne man could handle the matter more efficiently than many, he bought out the business and he kept it until his death.