Pleasant Hill Church of the Brethren rededicated 1936
E DICATION OF COUNTY CHURCH Services Sunday Afternoon At Pleasant Hill Church, Near Winterstown FIRST BUILT IN 1880 Winterston, July 10. Rededication services will be eld Sunday, July 12, at 2 p. m. at the Pleasant Hill Church of the Brethren, near here. Rev. Roy S. Forney, of East Peters burg, Pa., will give the sermon. Al terations to the church have been made on the interior and exterior. The church is located at Pleasant Hill park along route 44, three miles south of Red Lion, at a beautiful location. The plot of ground for both church and cemetery was donated by Mrs. Julia Herbst, who was a member of this church. This was in 1880. The land was part of the Herbst homestead, of which John Herbst, a son, is now owner and occupant. occupant. A small frame structure, 20 by 30 feet, was then built for worship. worship. "Grandmother Herbst," a Mrs. Herbst was called, donated some of the lumber for the church. The deed was then turned over to be held by the church. Services were held In this house un til the need of a larger building was felt. In 1907, the matter of erectin an addition was placed in the hands of a committee consisting of Jacob M. Myers, S. B. Myers, D. Y. Brill hart and Frederick Grove. Re-dedl Re-dedl Re-dedl cation services were held, Rev. I. N. H. Beahm, of Nokesville, Va., preach-' preach-' preach-' ing the sermon. Seating Capacity Doubled With the completion of the present improvements, the church holds twice the number of persons and provides ample room for regular worship services. services. The building and grounds are valued at about $5,000. The Pleasant Hill meeting lioiwe is one of the four houses of the Co- Co- dorus congregation. The others are: New Freedom, Codorus and Shrews bury. The congregation has over 300 communicants. The Codorus church was organized in 17S5, in what was then Codorus township, eleven miles southeast of York. During the last half century the following bishops have presided lnsuccessive order: Jacob Sham- Sham- berger, S. R. Zug, Christian Ness, D. Y. Brillhart. J. L. Myers. M. A. Jacobs, S. B. Myers and S. C. Godfrey. Other services on Sundav are as follows: Sunday school, 9 a. m.; morning sermon, 10 a. m.; vespers, 6:30 p. m.. by Miss Grace Keenv: evening address, 7:30 p. m., "The Teacher and Pupil," by Rev. Mr. Forney. On- On- Sunday, July 26, a revival will begin at the Pleasant Hill house, to continue for two weeks. Rev. P. J. Forney, of Lancaster, is the evan- evan- elist.