50th Jubilee St. Joseph
SEi-MTEML ITST. JOSEPH'S 15 NOW IN PROGRESS Observances Commemorative - of Half Century Mark In History of Leav-. enworth Church Opened Sunday BISHOP LILLIS AT THE OPENING Priests From Over State Take Part In Ceremonies Bishop Cunningham Officiates In Morning Rem-inscences Last Night The Very Reverend Father -Kuhls of Kansas City, Kan., delivered a very interesting lecture on "Remembrances of the Parish," in the program for the second evening of the celebration of the fiftieth" anniversary of the founding of St. Joseph's German Catholic church. Father Michel of Kansas City acted as deacon and Father Shorter, sub-deacon. The celebration began Sunday morning when all the male societies of the church accompanied by a brass band, escorted Bishop Lillis from the cathedral to the church where he officiated with Father Ward, assistant priest.- Father Steven, O. S. D., acted as deacon, and Father Vincent O. S, B., sub-deacon. The deacons of honor were Father Minie, O. S. D., and Father Benedict, O. S. D. Father Stanislaus, O. S. D., acted as master of ceremonies, and Father Beck of Argentine preached the sermon in German. At the evening service Bishop Lillis delivered confirmation and sermon at 7:30. Monday morning Bishop Cunningham of Concordia officiated in the meeting and Father Ward of the Cathedral preached the sermon. Father Kinsella of the Sol diers' home, acted as assistant priest. Father Groener of the Sacred Heart church was deacon and the place of sub- deacon was filled by lather Grudzmski of the Polish church of this city. Father Daugherty of the Post was master of ceremonies, and lather Downey and Father Shorter acted as deacon of honor. The St. Joseph's German Catholic church was founded in Leavenworth in the year 1858. Father Cassimer, O. S. D. was the first priest in charge of the church. He held the parish one year when Father Ameyer took charge. In one year he was succeeded by Father Fish who held the parish for three years. In 1863 lather Kuhls was at the head of the churcr for one year when he was transferred to Wyandotte where he has been ever since. Following Father Kuhls the Carmelite fathers took charge of the parish and it has been under their direction ever since. The first pastor under the Carmelite fathers was'Father Cyrill who held the parish until 1866, when Father Heiman succeeded him. Father Heiman was pastor until 1872. During that time he built the present church which is one of the finest churches in the city. The new building was built under his charge and dedicated to the service of the Almighty God on the 18th day of June, 1871. The Right Rev. Bishop F;nk of Leavenworth performed the ceremony of consecration. About twenty of the reverend clergy were present and participated in the dedication. Father Guenter succeeded Father Heiman and was pastor of the church ten years. From 1882 until 1887 Father Fink was in charge. lie was succeeded by Father Otto Deiderman who held the parisn until 1890, then Father Leo was in charge for five years. Father Guenter returned them and was at the head of the church for five years before being relieved in 1900 bv Father Ferdinand the present rector. From 1003 to 190G Father Sebatian was in charge of the church. He was relieved two years ago by the return of Father Ferdinand who has been in charge ever since. The jubilee will continue all day today and close tonight.