carry out fire
Fire Damages Carry-Out, 2 Apartments Damage estimated at $26,000 was done to a two-story frame building at 525 South, housing Moyer's Carry-Out and two apartments, by a fire which broke out at 11:30 p.m. Thursday. Fire Chief Louis Mikoiajewski gave the loss estimate as $10,000 to the building and $16,000 to contents, caused by fire, smoke and water. The fire broke out in the tavern of the business, presumably from lighted cigarettes dumped in a plastic trash container behind a bar before carry-out was closed at about 10 p.m., the chief said. It spread quickly up a wall to an unoccupied second floor apartment directly above the bar. Smoke from the fire penetrated the second apartment and other areas of the upper floor. The occupant of the apartment was not at home, firemen said. Twenty-seven Piqua firemen, two short of the entire complement of firefighters, remained at the scene until 1:45 a.m. today. One, Leroy Platfoot, was overcome by smoke and became ill, but was quickly revived and remained on the job, the fire chief The Covington volunteer fire department sent at least six men and pumper for standby duty at the engine house until Piqua firemen returned. Most, if not all, of the equipment in the carry-out, including two pizza ovens, were damaged by the fire.