The Brookshire Times, 28 May 1937, page 8.

ronscott60 Member Photo

Clipped by ronscott60

The Brookshire Times, 28 May 1937, page 8. - Katy On The Katy A Brief History of the Town...
Katy On The Katy A Brief History of the Town OfKatyWillbeContin- tinued in The Times The Last Chapter In 1903 the M. E. Church was organized, with some aid of about $650 from the church extension board. The first service was held in February, 1904. It was cold and the building was not ceiled. The seats were merely planks. Mr. G. H. Roberts led the music jvjth a tuning fork. E. W. Pot- lonned 12, 1909, the Missionary Society of the Baptist Church organized with twenty- six members. In 1912, the Baptist people started their first church building. On July 5, 1913, they had the first church services in their new building under Rev. W. N. Brumlow. The Mission was organized sometime in 1905, as best could remembered Mr. and Mrs. G. H. Roberts were first members. Mrs. Anne Williams and Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Canbaniss also members fo the first organization. Mother Hall was their first leader. They bought the old school building and moved to the present location in 1909. The first brick schoolhouse was built in 1909 at its present location. There have been several addition to the old . building since. -Mrs. Edna tie nrst^-'pa'dtor. He overalls and painted the church. It took about four years to pay off the church debt. The building committee were Mrs. J. E. Cabaniss, G. H. Roberts and W. P. Bowers. In 1905 an organ was purchased for the sum of $45. Mr. Weller filled the place of Sunday School Superintendent from 1904 until the time of his death in 1917. The Parsonage was built in 1914 while Rev. D. B. Boddie was pastor. Rev. T. S. Ogle was the first pastor to occupy it. The first Baptist organization known was on Nov. 20, 1898. They met in the schoolhouse and there were twelve members. W. P. Morrison and'W. H. Featherston* w,ere deacons. Other members were Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Cott, the Morrison family, Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Morrison, Novella Morrison, Will Morrison, John Morrison, Hattie Case and Mrs. M. C. Robets. Mr. Cott was one of the first Baptist Sunday School superintendents. May was • -IIIB • m w early teachers were JMinnie Bowers and May Harris. Our little one room, one-teacher school has now grown to a fully accredited high school, employing eight teachers and running two busses. 49 of to to be Mclhodist Announcement Brookshire, first and third Sundays, 11 and 7;30. Pattiaon, Second and fourth Sundays 11 arid 7;30. Fulshear, every Sunday, 9;30. SUNDAY SCHOOL Brookbhire, 10 Pftttison, )0. Watches Once Small Clocks Watches originally were small clocks and were worn hung from the girdle because they were too large for the pocket. be in

Clipped from
  1. The Brookshire Times,
  2. 28 May 1937, Fri,
  3. Page 8

ronscott60 Member Photo
  • The Brookshire Times, 28 May 1937, page 8.

    ronscott60 – 12 Apr 2017

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in