Clipped From Indiana Gazette

ddevore77 Member Photo

Clipped by ddevore77

 - Firefighters battle blaze in own firehouse...
Firefighters battle blaze in own firehouse HYNDMAN (AP) — Officials are calling it a firefighter's worst nightmare, getting called to a fire in the firehouse. . Members of the Hyndman Volunteer Fire Department were roused from bed early Saturday morning for a fire inside their firehouse, near the Maryland border. Most of their equipment and fire trucks were enveloped in flames and firefighters were forced to fight the fire for about 20 minutes with one hose until helped arrived. "It was the worst nightmare you could imagine," said Chief Jim Whitford. "For most of the guys, it was kind of like their second home was burning." The flames were so hot they melted an aluminum equipment box, Whitford said. Six fire companies, four ,from Maryland, put out the fire after about l'/2 hours, but not before it caused $500,000 in damage, destroying much of the firefighters' gear and an emergency vehicle and damaging a water tanker and fire truck. An electrical malfunction in one the firehouse's vehicle bays is believed to have sparked the fire. The firehouse has been boarded up until the department's insurance company signs off on repairs, and a Maryland fire company has loaned Hyndman a fire truck and firefighting equipment.

Clipped from
  1. Indiana Gazette,
  2. 20 Feb 1994, Sun,
  3. Page 3

ddevore77 Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in