The Belleville Telescope from Belleville, Kansas · Page 36Click to view larger version
September 14, 1989

The Belleville Telescope from Belleville, Kansas · Page 36

Publication:
The Belleville Telescope i
Location:
Belleville, Kansas
Issue Date:
Thursday, September 14, 1989
Page:
Page 36
View full page
Prev. page
Next pages

What members have found on this page

OCR Text

2D THE BELLEVILLE TELESCOPE. Thursday, September 14, 1989 Four Generations Build Arbuthnot Drug Company Over Last 103 Years Four generations of the Arbuthnot family have operated Arbuthnot Drug Company in Belleville from 1886 through 1989. The first drug store in Belleville was established by W.A. Godard around 1880. Dr. CM. Arbuthnot jo'uied the drug store in 1886. In 1897, Armstrong and Co., consisting of R.M. Armstrong, Dr. J.S. Billingsley and Dr. CM. Arbuthnot bought this drug store. In 1914 it became the property of Dr. Arbutlmot. His three sons, Charles, Fred and Sidney all were graduates of Kansa.s University in pharmacy, and all had a part in the business. Charles later owned a drug store in Lebanon and was at one time president of the State Pharmaceutical Associat.ion. Fred and Sid joined the firm about the time of I '.heir father's death October 4, 1920. The store was then located at 1806 M Street. Sid sold his interest in the store to Fred in 1924 suid moved to Republic where he established an Arbuthnot Drug Co. there. In the meantime, Fred sold his interest to Fred M. Colwell in 1927, and moved to California, where he managed a dr<ig store chain. Sid Moves Back Moving back to Belleville from Republic, Sid purchased the Republic Pharmacy in Belleville from Mrs. P.E. Tyler, lie was located where The Goose Crossing is presently located. In 1946, the Arbuthnot Drug Company switched locations with the Colwell Drug (Company and regained the former business location, which Dr. Arbuthnot had owned and still belonged to the Arbuthnot family. James C. Arbuthnot became a partner of his father, Sid, in 1950 following his graduation from the Kansas University Pharmacy School. Jim purchased his father's interest in the store in IWJ'.i. The fourth generation family member and also a graduate of KU, Bob Farm Bureau Insurance One of Top Companies in State Arbuthnot, joined the firm in 1979. Following his father's death in 1985, Bob became msmager of the company. Mrs. Jim Arbuthnot remains active in the business. Buy Ilolland.sworth Building h\ 1967 Arbuthnot Drug Co. purchased the Hollandworth building, and in an extensive remodeling project, more than doubled the size of its original building. The company is a complete full-service drug store with a modern prescription department. Pharmacists are on call 24-hours a day, and provide service to Republic County Hospital and the city's nursing homes, as well as a pre- prescription delivery service. The company is fully computerized, and the store has undergone several updates since its remodeling. Along with the pharmacy, Arbuthnot's features a line of Hallmark card and party items, and a variety of fine gift items such as glassware, pewter, crystal, candles and woodenware. The store also handles cosmetics and sundries. TELESCOPE BACK OFFICE STAFF ABOUT 1960—Left to right, Frank Krob, Ger­ ald Hallack, Harold Oliver, Roselind Homolac Kenneth Logan, D. Verne Glens, Harold Blazek.' Republic County Farm Bureau hisur- ance, which is a service organization of Republic County Farm Bureau Association, has provided service to the Republic County area for 50 years. The agency is managed by Dan Harrison, with career agents Marvin Strong and E'.ob Kasl, and office manager Karen Foster, The insuriince portion of the Farm Bureau organization was formed in 1938. At that time, the fire and casualty portion of the businesa was set so farmers could get the proper rates due him for the farm program coverage he needed. Since then there have been several additions, including health, life, commercial and homeowners insurance. By being one of the top insurance writing companies in Kansas, Farm Bureau has set its sights to develop more programs for its membership, based on good profitability and service, as well as quality coverage and strong stability in the market of insurance coverages. Heartland Care Center Has 88 Bed Facility Sunshine Floral Has Expanded Several Times Since 1985 "People Caring For People," is the slogan of Heartland Care Center an intermediate care facility located at 500 W. 23rd Street in Belleville. Opened in 1967, Heartland Care Center was founded as a 100 bed facility, in 1987 Eagle Health Care Corporation of Wichita ;issumed managerial duties, remodeling the structure to accompany an 88 bed facility with the addition of private bathing (juarters. With one of the largest payrolls in Belleville, Heartland employs 67 people in housekeeping, laundry, dietary, nursing and maintenance capacities. Heartland Care Center offers an outstanding program for both long term care as well .'is convalescing patients featuring: restorative therapy; in-hou.se laundry; weekly shopping services; 24 hour licensed nursing coverage; in-Iiouse chapel services and activity progr .iins. The coni|)any en\ph.u«izes individu.ility of resilient care while providing a cle.m home-like atmosphere. In the past llirce years Heartland has expanded their services to include out- patient consultant care in speech therapy, physical therapy and audiology. Heartland Care Center is also contracted with the Kans .is and Nebraska Veteran's Administration, 1507 17th Street, times since it was to accommodate a Sunshine Flloral, has moved several established in 1985 growing businesis. Cheryl Eickniann opened the business in April 1985 in the former Otott Green- Ihouse, which she leased. In November 1.986 she moved' the business to 1808 M S'treet, now the location of Belleville Jewelry. A move to a larger location in November 1988, the former Hallack Sewing Center building, gave Mrs. Eickmann room for expanding her business and creating displays. Sunshine Floral is a full line florist, providing flowers and service for weddings, funerals, and special events. The firm's services include catering, cakes, and interior decorating. "Our employees continuously train and attend classes and shows every three months, to improve the uniqueness of our arrangements," says Mrs. Eickmann. Present employees are Staci Strnad, Mike Eickmann, Sharon Davenport, David Pachta, Glenn Sterba, Carmen Kasl and Mick Eickmann. Three Generations of Fergusons In Business Since 1917 Ferguson Service has three generations—Frank, Roy and Mickey—who have served Belleville and Republic County with mach'me shop and automotive repair service. Frank Ferguson was the founder of Fergusons and worked in the business until his death in 1937. Frank was one of Belleville's most inventive citizens, designing a gas engine to use on threshing machines instead of Idea." Sales and Service has been our motto since 1967. Together Leonard and Tim Royer have over 50 years experience In Installation and repair of major appliances. We stand behind our products because we offer only the finest products available. the old steam engines. Many of his are still in use around the country today. After returning from the US Air Force in 1946, Frank's grandson, Mickey, and son, Roy, opened Ferguson Service at 1401 15th Street. They constructed the building, which is still being used today by Mickey. Mickey said that the business started out mainly as a truck repair shop, machine shop and welding firm. During the first years of the business in 1946-48, Ferguson Service worked on the Rock Island motor transit trucks. However, the automobile has played an ever-increasing part of Ferguson Service, particularly since 1900 according to Ferguson. Mickey's wife, Leona, has been the firm's bookkeeper since July 1964, at which time Ferguson Service was purchased from his fatiier, Roy, and mother, Laverna Ferguson. Fire Extingui.shers Ferguson expanded into the fire extinguisher sales and service in 1962. Today, fire extinguishers are required to be certified by the State Fire Marshall's office. Ferguson was certified in 1983, and continues to certify and recharge extinguishers in the North Central Kansas area. PRINTING WITH HANDSET TYPE-Above are pictured D. Verne Glens and Kenneth Logan in a downtown shop of The Telescope when a great deal of the type was set by hand. Mr. Logan is the present day superintendent of The Telescope The above picture was made some 35 years ago. MANY HAVE WORKED ON TELESCOPE-Above is a picture made in the downtown office of The Telescope around 1960. Pictured at the Linotype machines, machines that were used to cast lead type, are left to right, Gerald Hallack, Faith Ball, and Frank Krob all who went on into other endeavors. MAYTAG GENERAL ELECTRIC ZENITH 'iStt.% h CITY OF BEUyEiSLLE •CI ^ BELLWILLE TELESCOPE Leonardos Appliance SALES AND SERVICE 1814 M Street 527-2447 West Side Square Belleville Proud to Serve Belleville Since 1951 Belleville Kiwanis Club CITY OF BEL,LJ©?JLLE BELCi^LE TELESCOPE Arnold Harding, president (center), receives the club charter February 6, 1951, from Hubert Collins, Governor Kansas District